Ryan Adams - Prisoner - 02.17.17

2017 Gamblers New Releases moved from Beneath This Gruff Exterior
to this forum.
track11
Mansplain it, Bernie

Re: Ryan Adams - Prisoner - 02.17.17

Postby track11 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:19 am

Beldo wrote:Heard Run To You by Bryan Adams on the radio and thought that, save maybe for the lead guitar part, it would fit extremely well on this album. Not a criticism of either artist by the way, just an observation!

Love this tune!

El Santo
Chestnut Mare

Postby El Santo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:26 pm

After first listen: I think this is really quite strong. There isn't any real new ground being explored here, and there aren't really any single songs that slay me, but from front to back, this album is great. Good vibe all the way through. It sounds retro at times, but not on a really obvious way. Sort of 80's, but not like you could pick out all the pop songs that the production is trying to emulate. Like some 80's album with a cult following. My one beef with the production though is that at times, things sound very separate. The vocals have a lot more reverb than a lot of the other stuff, and it can be a little confusing to my ear at times.

Great though! Any former fans who have been off the wagon for awhile should definitely hop back on and give this one a try. I think I might like it better than the self-titled and "1989". Overall, I'd put it in the top 1/3rd of his releases.
"If anything, I don't think Trump is taking it far enough" - noodle

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:55 pm

For me this is easily his best release since Jacksonville City Nights.
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

El Santo
Chestnut Mare

Postby El Santo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:07 pm

When's the last time you gave JCN a good listen, Beldy? I used to put it real close to "Gold" and some of the older stuff, but I went back recently and didn't like it as much. There's some good songs on it for sure, but a lot of the performance and the overall sound of the album sounded a bit like RA was havin' a goof.

I have a tough time ranking his albums. They tend to fall into top-tier (Heartbreaker/Cold Roses), mid-tier (Gold, self-titled) or bottom-tier (Cardinology/ III IV). Rankings within those groups are a toss up depending on my mood.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Honestly, RA's albums are all pretty spotty in retrospect, so it's almost always about 1) how good the good songs are, b) how many good songs there are. It has about 5-6 songs I'd call good to great. The self-titled I'd say has 4-5. I wouldn't say JCN is a GREAT album because there's too much filler and boring songs, but it's the last one that has songs I still listen to regularly.
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

El Santo
Chestnut Mare

Postby El Santo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:41 pm

I see where you're coming from. "Prisoner" and the s/t album don't have a lot of legendary tracks, but are overall very good.

"Gold" is fucking all over the place. There's some classic songs that will last forever (Firecracker, La Cienega, Wild Flowers, etc etc) but then some absolute bullshit as well (Nobody Girl, Tina Toledo, etc etc). I'd still say it's a good album though. Not as good as "Heartbreaker" or "Cold Roses", but probably next in line right after that.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Yeah, for some reason Gold has really risen in my estimation. I think I might even like it more than Heartbreaker at this point, but that's probably because I'm burned out on HB--I'd never try to argue it's objectively a better album. It has some weak as fuck tracks, and I'm not sure I love his vocals on it, but the songs are so good and the production is this great, energetic classic rock sort of sound that fits those songs so well. Also, I think in my mind I sort of remember the best versions of those songs from Suicide Handbook or various sessions that used to be available on that FTP site. There was some solo piano version of Rescue Blues that is so much better than the album version. And speaking of bootlegs I think if 48 Hours had been released it would be considered a top tier album for him. Too bad it sounds like he'll never be able to release a lot of that stuff himself.

I wonder what the deal is with Mike Viola. He was a co-producer on the self-titled, looks to have recorded some tracks on this, and was touring with him until 6 months ago. Now RA has a new band and there's hardly a mention of The Shining or Viola anymore.

I went back and read this article from 2014. Dude really lays into the later iteration of the Cardinals, though I don't blame him. I think he's right that they should have stopped when Catherine Popper left. http://www.stereogum.com/1703017/qa-rya ... interview/

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Sidenote: this is the new picture to use whenever you think someone is using a fake account Image

Rowsdower
Chestnut Mare

Postby Rowsdower » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Finally started listening to this. Could be the best thing since Rock N Roll and Love Is Hell, which to this day, I honestly swear are his finest albums by far. Because they are dumb and honestly sincerely trying to help. Maybe Ryan Adams was Trump before Trump was Trump.

I think all the rest have tons of great moments but aren't truly great (totally convincing) albums. Cold Roses is great, but too bloated. I think Easy Tiger is super good and probably better than Heartbreaker/Gold. As a whole album.

Ryan Adams eponymous might actually be one of his greatest but haven't given it enough time.

1984/1989 are impressive in an RA way but such wankery. I prefer 1984 by far.

Pneumonia now, which is basically a Ryan solo album IMO is also a great album. The other Whiskeytown records are also great. As band records.

Blaze
Chestnut Mare

Postby Blaze » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:37 am

Starting to get excited about checking this out, esp after reading the above Georgian Nevada man's post. Feel a Ryan Adams bender coming on. Used to be a huge fan.
“What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?”

monkeyboy
Fookin' Unreachable Bassard

Postby monkeyboy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:57 pm

Just watched him on Fallon (yes, a few days behind the actual airing). Soooooo...not trying to be middle-schoolish here, but the dude is 42-years-old. Time to give up on the skinny jeans. I'm willing to bet that's why Mandy left.

OK, that was a cheap shot. I couldn't help it though. Grow up, man.

Anywho - I still like his music and think he's very talented.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:05 am

I'm pretty sure Mick Jagger wears women's jeans so at least RA hasn't gone that far just yet.

monkeyboy
Fookin' Unreachable Bassard

Postby monkeyboy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:48 am

Beldo wrote:I'm pretty sure Mick Jagger wears women's jeans so at least RA hasn't gone that far just yet.
:shock:

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:59 pm

This album really has some strange production going on, but in a good way. It almost sounds like some not quite lo-fi but certainly lower budget band trying to recreate the expensive '80s production of the day but ending up getting something else entirely.

Rowsdower
Chestnut Mare

Postby Rowsdower » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Beldo wrote:Sidenote: this is the new picture to use whenever you think someone is using a fake account Image
Or has a really huge combover.