Ryan Adams - Prisoner - 02.17.17

2017 Gamblers New Releases moved from Beneath This Gruff Exterior
to this forum.
Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Re: Ryan Adams - Prisoner - 02.17.17

Postby Beldo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:34 am

"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:34 pm

"Tightrope" is my favorite one here. Probably the least '80s sounding but it ends with a Clarence Clemons-esque sax solo.
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Anyone else heard this yet? Anxious to hear other opinions

Ben Jackson
Moonshiner

Postby Ben Jackson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:51 pm

melt
Canada is a Cold and Boring Place to Flee to

Postby melt » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:00 pm

My initial impressions are that it's pretty sonically similar to the self-titled record from a few years ago, but the songs aren't as memorable. I do need more time with it though.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:56 am

It's more of a grower than his last one for sure. It seems like he was really concentrating on a sound and a feel on this one more than on his more recent stuff.

DADDY
You're so Politically Correct

Postby DADDY » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:11 pm

I've only heard the "Do You Still Love Me?" track . . . s'allright.

ingerlou
Johnny Cash's Drinkin' Buddy

Postby ingerlou » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Never found this dude's music to be the kind to grow on me. Typically, it either sucks right up front, or it's good. Now sometimes the good stuff will tend to grow shitty after repeated listens, but rarely the opposite.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Same here, but this one is different, imo!

Gas OJ
Cuban Heel

Postby Gas OJ » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:46 am

For those of you who might have missed this New York Times op-ed.

Ryan Adams: The First Time I Was Rattled by a Heckler
Never saw a woman look finer
I used to order just to watch her float across the floor - Neil Young

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:30 am

Pretty sure he's laying it on a little thick. I was there, and he seemed the opposite of nervous. He was hopped up and energetic the whole night. Maybe he was distraught, but he wasn't acting it, it was more like, "this fucking guy! watch this!" from my viewpoint in the third row.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 pm

Interview with Steve Earle on Outlaw Country http://blog.siriusxm.com/2017/02/06/rya ... early-90s/

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:02 am

On WTF...only heard the first 25 min or so, apparently he says Whiskeytown was "pretty terrible"! OUTRAGE!
http://pitchfork.com/news/71594-ryan-ad ... on-on-wtf/

TeleKing
Potato Peeler

Postby TeleKing » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:36 am

Some of you crack me up. Once again, people are too afraid to admit this is another great record because it's "cool" to bash Ryan Adams.

I get many don't like him personally, and he annoys me as well. Tries too hard to sound cool.

But, he's a freaking monster songwriter, and this is, yet again, another example of how talented this guy is.

Like many, I'd love nothing more than the trashy Whiskeytown sound, but that aint happening, just like I can't write songs like I did when I was 20. The good news is there still is a long of great music here for anyone who chooses to listen to it with an open mind.

Hopefully Whiskeytown will get back together after this. He seems the most open to the idea than he's ever been. So, hopefully!

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:57 am

Beldo wrote:On WTF...only heard the first 25 min or so, apparently he says Whiskeytown was "pretty terrible"! OUTRAGE!
http://pitchfork.com/news/71594-ryan-ad ... on-on-wtf/
Really good interview, probably the best I've heard with him. Probably 30-45 minutes is spent on his growing up, learning guitar, and his first band.
Interesting tidbits:
- he talks a lot about his grandparents and growing up
- Watching Cowboy Junkies on SNL his inspiration to play "mellow music" i.e. not punk/metal
- He said he realized that while he liked metal and could play it, songwriting was more interesting to him and felt more natural
- he thought Faithless Street was the best and most accurate to their live sound Whiskeytown album; he intimated he thought Stranger's Almanac was good but the sound was not something they could recreate live, and Pneumonia is basically a solo album
- he thinks Whiskeytown was a terrible live band because they didn't know what they were doing (Maron asked if they were "Replacements bad" and RA was offended FOR the Mats that Maron would suggest anything he did was anywhere near as good as anything Paul and Tommy have done)
- tells a cool story about smoking a joint with Keith Richards while recording Stranger's Almanac in LA
- after Whiskeytown fell apart and their record label was gobbled up, he had to move back to Jacksonville and was convinced his career was over and had decided he was just going to stay there and make albums, but then got together with Ethan Johns to make Heartbreaker
- he said Gold was not actually successful but history remembers it as being big because the promotional machine behind it was so huge and it's where he got on most people's radar
- Maron says Easy Tiger was his first introduction to him and RA seems kind of not big on ET, describing it as a 5 day culmination of a year and a half's worth of recording
- He said it's hard for him to not record and release everything he does because his "job and his hobby are the same thing"
- he claims his Meniere's disease is one of the reasons he stopped touring with the Cardinals because they were so loud (couldn't you turn it down?)
- he goes into a long discussion about hearing Gram Parsons and that changing his life, as well as hearing Wharf Rat by the Dead for the first time
- he seems vaguely embarrassed by 1989 (I'm sure he'd deny this but that's the vibe he gives off)