Ryan Adams - Prisoner - 02.17.17

2017 Gamblers New Releases moved from Beneath This Gruff Exterior
to this forum.
Blaze
Chestnut Mare

Re: Ryan Adams - Prisoner - 02.17.17

Postby Blaze » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:10 am

^ Spoiler alert bro....
“What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?”

DADDY
You're so Politically Correct

Postby DADDY » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:11 am

Actually I appreciate it Beldo. Thanks. Time is precious and I'd rather the cliff notes version . . . and I am really being sincere.

Kizmiaz
RA Douchiness

Postby Kizmiaz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:50 pm

DADDY wrote:Actually I appreciate it Beldo. Thanks. Time is precious and I'd rather the cliff notes version . . . and I am really being sincere.
Ditto
Beldo wrote: Damn foreigners

Blaze
Chestnut Mare

Postby Blaze » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:02 pm

I ask Beldo for Cliff's Notes versions of stuff all the time and get nothing but grief.
“What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?”

DADDY
You're so Politically Correct

Postby DADDY » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:12 pm

Asked for the short n sweet version of Wuthering Heights . . . fucker totally PM'd me the Heath Cliff notes like instantly.

Blaze, maybe you should axe him for the cliff note version of his grief?

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Trying to think of what else I forgot...

He told an amusing story about how when he first began playing guitar, he played in a strange tuning (half detuned, half not) to try to play Black Sabbath on the top strings and no one told him until much later there was a standard tuning. He also said he wrote two songs the first day he began playing guitar and has a tape of them somewhere.

He also reiterated the story about how Suicide Handbooks was actually called "Career Suicide Handbook" which I don't totally buy, and he said that was supposed to be the Heartbreaker follow up, but Lost Highway told him it was un-releasable (which pissed him off as they had gotten him to sign by telling him he would be able to do whatever he wanted)

And he talked some about playing with Phil Lesh and the Dead, meeting Charlie Watts and talking to him about penny loafers and his friendship with Don Was.

Oh, and skateboarding.

Didn't have much to say about his mom except that they didn't get along. Said his dad is cool. Dude really loved his grandmother. I think her death affected him way more than his divorce.

Really the only thing I would have liked to hear more about was the different iterations of the Cardinals and subsequent break up and how much of that was to do with his getting clean (he didn't go to rehab). I think he made some comment about how when he stopped touring with them it had gone too far from how it had started out.
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

Kizmiaz
RA Douchiness

Postby Kizmiaz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:36 am

Do You Still Love Me is a killer track.
Beldo wrote: Damn foreigners

Blaze
Chestnut Mare

Postby Blaze » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:48 am

Son Volt and this in the same day. This would've been a marquee day with lots of posting back in the old days. Times have changed.

nacho
Chestnut Mare

Postby nacho » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:39 pm

There's no way that "Haunted House" isn't a "Tunnel of Love" outtake. Just no way.

Charks
RA's Editor

Postby Charks » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:32 am

Kizmiaz wrote:Do You Still Love Me is a killer track.
Yes it is. To Be Without You...We Disappear...Broken Away (which sounds a bit like an acoustic take on Whiskeytown's Crazy About You)...Shiver and Shake all killer stuff.

Probably my fav "solo" Ryan since Heartbreaker.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:35 am

Outbound Train is pretty great.

Can someone convince Shane to come back just to talk about this and Son Volt?
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

Charks
RA's Editor

Postby Charks » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Beldo wrote: Can someone convince Shane to come back just to talk about this and Son Volt?
We had a lengthy FB messenger discussion yesterday on Prisoner. He's obviously in lurv with it. Better than Heartbreaker according to Shane. But yeah...we need his stream of consciousness thoughts here.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:06 pm

nacho wrote:There's no way that "Haunted House" isn't a "Tunnel of Love" outtake. Just no way.
Outbound Train sounds like something off Tracks. Shiver & Shake also sounds like a re-write of I'm On Fire. Love the choir synth on that one.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Charks wrote:
Beldo wrote: Can someone convince Shane to come back just to talk about this and Son Volt?
We had a lengthy FB messenger discussion yesterday on Prisoner. He's obviously in lurv with it. Better than Heartbreaker according to Shane. But yeah...we need his stream of consciousness thoughts here.
:lol: pure Shane :cry:

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:19 pm

Heard Run To You by Bryan Adams on the radio and thought that, save maybe for the lead guitar part, it would fit extremely well on this album. Not a criticism of either artist by the way, just an observation!