um don't read if you like the Old 97s

Artists, Albums, Songs and New Releases
Sandusky
Chestnut Mare

um don't read if you like the Old 97s

Postby Sandusky » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:41 am

So I was rummaging around my room last night going through all my cds scattered to and fro when I stumbled across 'Too Far To Care' and thought 'what the hell?' and put it in the old cd player. Man I just don't get this band! The tempos are way too bouncy and peppy and the lyrics gay as hell. MY NAME IS RHETT MILLER/I'M A SERIAL LADY KILLER and songs about drinking whiskey and slurpy! WTF? Have never understood why this band is given so much credit from the ACT crowd. Even their latter day attempts at pop seem cornball and very straight white person music. Maybe the Old 97s should have done more drugs or something, just seem so squeaky clean and safe. After I listened to about 2 songs I took the cd out and replaced it with Whiskeytown's 'In You Wildest Dreams' ep. Anybody remember this? About 6 months after Stranger's Almanac came out they re-released it with this ep (so I had to buy it twice :x )--'Ticket Time' is the leadoff track BET YOUS I AIN'T GONNA SHINE ENOUGH man oh man one of the band's best rockers. Has a killer cover of the True Believer's 'Rain Won't Help You When It's Over' and the first appearance of Ryan's best acoustic ballad 'Factory Girl'. Also has what is arguably my favorite Whiskeytown tune 'Wither I'm A Flower' that is mid-tempo matsy electric rock with some of RA's best vox (check out that shot screamed chorus at the end, up there with Westerberg). After playing Whiskeytown after the powerdown of the 97s it's like night and day, the 97s cornball slap happy forced twang while Ryan Adams true southern soul is loud and clear in the Whiskeytown catalog. One thing about Ryan is he is from the south and even though he wears a bunch of different diguises deep down he's still got a Gram Parsons soul; Rhett Miller comes from TX but seems more like a dude from Malibu, nowhere near the natural singer and songwriter Ryan is. The old WT albums still hold up beautifully too, in fact I think their catalog surpasses his solo stuff. WHISKEYTOWN 4-EVER OLD 97S NEVER :twisted: !
Last edited by Sandusky on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

the dirtiest lights shine the most

Acuff-Rose
Leightweight Chocker

Re: um don't read if you like the Old 97s

Postby Acuff-Rose » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:53 am

I thought I was the only one who didn't like this band. Was never crazy about Rhett's voice. Comes off to me like a contrived cow-punk sound led by a pretty frat boy with drunk college girls fawning all over him. Glad to know there's others who just don't get this band's bit. :o :)
If you don't stop to smell the roses now
They might end up on you

RA's Editor

Postby 1973 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:17 am

Acuff-Rose wrote:I thought I was the only one who didn't like this band. Was never crazy about Rhett's voice. Comes off to me like a contrived cow-punk sound led by a pretty frat boy with drunk college girls fawning all over him. Glad to know there's others who just don't get this band's bit. :o :)
You are not alone.

TANEYTOWN
Broke the Douchebagometer

Postby TANEYTOWN » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:23 am

I don't know I love TO FAR TO CARE, But I don't understand why it became a bigger deal than Barrel Chested, Slobberbone's cd that came out the same year. I know their huge around the country, but in Dallas it's another level. Like just nuts . I know The Drams opened for them on this New Years. I can tell you the place was packed.

TANEYTOWN
Broke the Douchebagometer

Postby TANEYTOWN » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:25 am

I love the reverb on that cd.

Sandusky
Chestnut Mare

Postby Sandusky » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:29 am

Taney I cranked up 'Whiskey Glass Eye' last night and was like this :shock: ! Slobberbone mops the floor with the 97s, the Bone very steeped in Husker/Mats/Social D/Soul Asylum rock with twang emphasis and Brent's voice as perfect as it gets. Hey Taney would you say the Bone were like the Mats of altcountry? They never hit the bigtime but all the cool people liked them and their influence is heard in new bands like Lucero, 2 Cow, Wrinkle Neck Mules. Really thinking about going on a massive old Bone kick soon, those old albums have aged well their brand of cowpunky twangrock like nothing else out there.
Last edited by Sandusky on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

RMR
I Sprained My ACLU

Postby RMR » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:30 am

how can you not like Salome?
whom the gods wish to destroy, first they drive insane - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Sandusky
Chestnut Mare

Postby Sandusky » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:35 am

'Salome' is weak. His voice is too precious, always sounds like he's trying to get laid like he's mainly singing to girls. He needs to man up and stop posing so much. Find me an Old 97s song that comes close to 'Avenues', 'Dancing With The Women At The Bar' or 'Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart'.

RMR
I Sprained My ACLU

Postby RMR » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:38 am

this is unrelated, but WTF is up with everyone here saying such and such is "precious" all of a sudden. I have never heard this before in my life except when people are making fun of homosexuals....all of a sudden it's in every third post here.

paulhead
Chestnut Mare

Postby paulhead » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:40 am

I dislike Too Far To Care very much. Satellite Rides is pretty good but could take or leave this band. I don't like their their style man.

Sandusky
Chestnut Mare

Postby Sandusky » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:41 am

Precious just means something is ultra-sensitive crybaby and wussified. Has nothing to do with homosexuals particularly, anybody can be precious when they write ball-less lyrics. RMR do you put whiskey in your slurpy? Where I'm from you might as well put a dress on if you drink your whiskey like this!

Acuff-Rose
Leightweight Chocker

Postby Acuff-Rose » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:42 am

RMR wrote:this is unrelated, but WTF is up with everyone here saying such and such is "precious" all of a sudden. I have never heard this before in my life except when people are making fun of homosexuals....all of a sudden it's in every third post here.
Awwwww RMR... that post was precious! :wink: :lol:
If you don't stop to smell the roses now
They might end up on you

paulhead
Chestnut Mare

Postby paulhead » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:43 am

Has anyone seen me precious.

RMR
I Sprained My ACLU

Postby RMR » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 am

Sandusky wrote:Precious just means something is ultra-sensitive crybaby and wussified. Has nothing to do with homosexuals particularly, anybody can be precious when they write ball-less lyrics. RMR do you put whiskey in your slurpy? Where I'm from you might as well put a dress on if you drink your whiskey like this!
the only person I know who puts their whiskey in a slurpy is Jim Cobra :lol:

and damned if I don't feel precious now

Sandusky
Chestnut Mare

Postby Sandusky » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 am

Also let's not get mad at each other and leave the board over my anti-97s post. I clearly stated in the thread title 'DON'T READ' if you're a hardcore fan cuz you're gonna get fired up. This is just my stupid opinion, and always remember I've started 3 threads in the past about how much I love the goo goo dolls!