um don't read if you like the Old 97s

Artists, Albums, Songs and New Releases
noteethleroy
You're so Politically Correct

Re: um don't read if you like the Old 97s

Postby noteethleroy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:13 pm

I'm surprised at this thread, I love the 97's. I love just about all of it, Fight Songs and Satellite Rides took awhile to grow on me, but I even love those now. Drag It Up never caught on with me except for the first song, and I tried with that album a bunch, so I have to agree they are well past their prime at this point.
You guys keep mentioning Rhett, but for me the real reason I love that band is the music behind the "precious" lyrics. Ken is an animal on the guitar, kinda twangy, kinda punky, I love his out of control style. He did some dates with Exene's Original Sinners that I wish I could have seen.

I don't get the comparisons to Slobberbone, other than geography I just don't see much in common there.

toddygirl
RA Douchiness

Postby toddygirl » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:33 pm

Love them. Love that album. Love to look at Rhett.
Booty for life!

TANEYTOWN
Broke the Douchebagometer

Postby TANEYTOWN » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:46 pm

Slobberbone has nothing in common with them, other than they came up at the same time around Dallas Texas & Slobberbone opened for them a bunch & now The Drams so & both bands are great friends to this day.

greatbahen
Penisbutter

Postby greatbahen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:32 am

I can not believe all the hate for the 97s. Hitchhike to Rhome and Wreck Your Life are two really amazing albums. Sandu, have you heard Dressing Room Wall, Victoria, Desperate Times, or Wish the Worst? What about Por Favor? These are amazing classic alt-country songs. If needed I can make a super killer mix of early 97s to change your crazyhead/CBH/mind-gone-wrong!! :D

Colorado Sun
Interested Attorney

Postby Colorado Sun » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:41 am

Sandu got a new connection, is strung out on the good stuff and is poo-pooing that street "stepped-on" shit...Once you start mainlining Mules, alot of the crap you have been giving a begrudged "pass" on, simply will not be tolerated any longer.....

-Sun
"I still feel like the game itself is pastoral, poetic and flawless. It's beautiful no matter what level it's played on." - Will Johnson on Baseball

http://RiNoDistrictRadio.com/

TANEYTOWN

Postby TANEYTOWN » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:13 am

Leave,Sandusky alone. Nothing wrong with not liking them.

Sandusky
Chestnut Mare

Postby Sandusky » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:27 am

Colorado Sun wrote:Sandu got a new connection, is strung out on the good stuff and is poo-pooing that street "stepped-on" shit...Once you start mainlining Mules, alot of the crap you have been giving a begrudged "pass" on, simply will not be tolerated any longer.....

-Sun
This is true. I've been on a steady diet of 'Minor Enough', 'Pull The Brake' and 'The Wicks Have Met' for a few weeks :lol: . If somebody can do a yousendit mix on the 97s I'd be happy to check out the songs. I relate to whiskeydevil's experience, that's was about the way I felt when first hearing this band, was a brand of altcountry I was not familiar with, guess I prefer the slower pastoral country sadness of bands like Son Volt and Richmond Fontaine to the I'VE GOT A TIMEBOMB IN MY MIND MOM texas swing pep of the 97s. And yeah I know Rhett Miller has his 'sad' songs too but the ones I've heard are pretty girly and trivial compared to epic altcountry gems like 'Tear Stained Eye', 'Contrails', 'I Can Tell You're Love Is Waning', 'The Strip' and 'Mud'.

All in all this is just a thread to get humans talking. I totally understand 97s fans thinking I'm full of shit, I would feel the same if someone kicked off an anti-Son Volt thread. Just trying to get some discourse going :) .

the dirtiest lights shine the most

BirdBrain
Indier Than Thou

Postby BirdBrain » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:10 am

Chogdog is going to kill Sandu when he logs on.

I like 'em and i'll take the credit for being the one who said he thinks of them as more of a power-pop band than an altcountry band cos i said that before. 8)
Dunno, they're very similar to The Lemonheads...both bands fronted by good-looking dudes with an eye for the ladies and the music itself never strays too far from arch slackdom. I listen to other bands when I want to hear someone cut themselves open and start bleeding from the speakers.

Machine
Ladies Man

Postby Machine » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:12 am

The Old 97's are one of those talked about bands around here that I just don't fucking get. I've hated them from day one. I've always felt that they were in that Matchbox 20 categorya, suckhole mainstream pop for the Dawson Creekers.
ARE YOU READY FOR FREDDY?

TANEYTOWN

Postby TANEYTOWN » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:14 am

HEY,HEY,HEY,HEY :lol:

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:34 am

BirdBrain wrote:Chogdog is going to kill Sandu when he logs on.

I like 'em and i'll take the credit for being the one who said he thinks of them as more of a power-pop band than an altcountry band cos i said that before. 8)
I said it too! In this thread no less! Co-credit? What are the ACT union guidelines on this?
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

BirdBrain
Indier Than Thou

Postby BirdBrain » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am

Beldo wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:Chogdog is going to kill Sandu when he logs on.

I said it too! In this thread no less! Co-credit? What are the ACT union guidelines on this?
OK, call it 60/40 in favour of me then :D
Its enough to make a crooked man go straight...

The Jayhawks are also more of a light pop group than a hard nosed country band but thats another

Sandusky
Chestnut Mare

Postby Sandusky » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:58 am

Chogdog will tear me a new one when his eyeball spies this thread :bitenails:

the dirtiest lights shine the most

KnobTwister
Cleveland Steamer

Postby KnobTwister » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:37 pm

All the women who've responded to this thread like them. I think Rhett's onto something. As for me - I'm meh these days. I think Rhett's a decent wordsmith, with a tendency to get overly sissypants occassionally. I don't have a problem with the occassional slip. Happens to plenty whom I like more. There are a bunch of songs that I like (don't listen to them that much anymore but...), that span 3 or 4 of their albums. The live show is pretty good, though. I really like the rest of the band. They are top notch players. Rhett's vocal delivery style are what gets me down mostly about the 97's. He sounds so precious way too often.

Wordman
Chestnut Mare

Postby Wordman » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:39 pm

KnobTwister wrote:...precious...
You, sir, are not paying attention. The above has been removed from the official ACT lexicon...
"...he's an interesting bunch of guys..."
http://www.weaverwrites.com