Son Volt - American Central Dust - July 7, 2009

Artists, Albums, Songs and New Releases
Acuff-Rose
Leightweight Chocker

Re: Son Volt - American Central Dust - July 7, 2009

Postby Acuff-Rose » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:15 pm

Sandusky wrote:as much as I love this record alas there are a few clunkers. I can't get my head around "Down To The Wire" and can't stand "Sultina". Other than that, it's all gold!

Agree with you there buddy but one thing I do like about Sultana is the story... in fact I'd never heard of the disaster until I heard Jay's song. Then I looked it up on Wikipedia... tragic but fascinating story.
If you don't stop to smell the roses now
They might end up on you

chogdog
Firing Dennis Rodman

Postby chogdog » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:48 pm

Sandusky wrote:as much as I love this record alas there are a few clunkers. I can't get my head around "Down To The Wire" and can't stand "Sultina". Other than that, it's all gold!
"Down to the Wire" sounds like a really bad Sebastapol out-take and sort of like a 1000x's worse rewrite of Sebastapol's "Feed Kill Chain." It's also about the fifth time Farrar has re-written REM's "King of Birds," with each succeeding version that much worse than the prior.

Tabbedout
Trump University Grad

Postby Tabbedout » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:23 pm

I agree.

nacho
Chestnut Mare

Postby nacho » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:31 pm

to those two, i'd add "When the Wheels Don't Move." otherwise, teh rest is top notch.

Tabbedout
Trump University Grad

Postby Tabbedout » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:36 pm

That one is pretty "Meh" too... yes. Not horrible in anyway, but still.

Sandusky
Chestnut Mare

Postby Sandusky » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:15 am

"Wheels Don't Move" just needs more amped up fuzzed out guitars. As recorded it builds but never quite gets off the ground. Yeah, "Sultana" is interesting in an historical context and all, but not something I want to listen to over and over. And I think it was Wellstone who said "Down To The Wire" sounded best the first time around when it was called "Circadian Rhythm". The lyrics are forced/clumsy and the song just bland. The live boot I heard was a little better, was hoping in the studio this song would come to life but not happening. Jay always releases the worst songs on albums as his singles, last time it was "The Picture", even going all the way back to "Trace" I think "Drown" is the weakest song on the album and the least representative on its overall sound but it was the single.

the dirtiest lights shine the most

3legcat
Gilmomentum

Postby 3legcat » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:13 pm

finally picked this up, listening now, so far i like it, i like it mare than The Search and more than Okemah, but it is early. i never been early

Machine
Ladies Man

Postby Machine » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:35 pm

This thing has been sitting in my IPod since it was leaked, decided to re-visit it for the first time since way back and lo and behold, I'm really liking it for some reason. Fuck my tastes in music are complex. This is good...but then again, maybe it's the miserable rainy november day here that's making me like it, not sure.
ARE YOU READY FOR FREDDY?

RA's Editor

Postby 1973 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:49 am

nacho wrote:to those two, i'd add "When the Wheels Don't Move." otherwise, teh rest is top notch.
Hmm, for me this is one of my favorite few tunes on this album. It adds a bit or the rock and the roll (as Keith Richards says, most people these days can do the rock, but they forget the roll) to an album a bit light on either.

Sandusky
Chestnut Mare

Postby Sandusky » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:53 am

"Roll On" has slowly become one of my favorite SV songs. Love the languid drifting quality of this song. Another great highway tune from Farrar. Side 2 of this album is really killing me these days. "No Turning Back", "Pushed Too Far", "Exiles", "Strength & Doubt" and "Jukebox Of Steel" bring the record to a glorious halt. ACD=Son Volt's dark horse. I predict 10 years from now it will be getting the same love as Wide Swing and Trace.

the dirtiest lights shine the most

Verbow
Asshole Casserole

Postby Verbow » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:33 am

Sandusky wrote:"No Turning Back", "Exiles", "Strength & Doubt"
Those are my top three from this record. Really really love them. I like this record a lot, but for some reason never get the urge to spin it too often. Need to remedy that ASAP.
"The point is, Karl's jr., shake that "I'm not worth it" feeling asap, because your work rocks and you deserve to get paid even more than those homos paid for it."

-Sage Macho

Blaze
Chestnut Mare

Postby Blaze » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:18 pm

I'm on a Son Volt kick in preparation of the new album. Crazy how this one leaked so early and we are still a couple weeks out from the new one with hardly anything.

I have never given this album the proper time. I don't remember what was going on in my life when it came out, but I may have been in an alt-country funk.
“What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?”

TANEYTOWN
Broke the Douchebagometer

Postby TANEYTOWN » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:39 pm

It holds up nicely^.

TANEYTOWN
Broke the Douchebagometer

Postby TANEYTOWN » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Solid album.

flippedcanvas
Chestnut Mare
Location: South East of England(G.B.)1ce upon a time Rome in Italy not Rome in Texas,what r ye like buddies!?

Postby flippedcanvas » Wed May 02, 2018 8:06 pm

I agree
Violin Sky wrote:More like a multidimensional portrait of the creative self from different angle of your primal emotional abilities. :D Or Flash Gordon..
http://www.myspace.com/flippedcanvas