howard
Beavis

Re: Best Dylan Covers?

Postby howard » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:09 am

DADDY
You're so Politically Correct

Postby DADDY » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:15 pm

Not sure if this qualifies as a "true cover" as I believe Dylan never recorded it (seems he didn't want to do it - HA). No matter, LOVE this song. Also thing George's "Not for you" is the definitive version.
Sorry Howard, neg on ONJ.

The "I'm Not There" Soundtrack has got a couple of killer ones . . . I need to watch that movie again, so good dear buddies.

BirdBrain
Indier Than Thou

Postby BirdBrain » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:01 pm

Beldo wrote:There's a ton of bad Dylan covers out there. I was seeking out some tribute albums and am appalled at how bad 99% of the versions are. Part of the problem is it seems like everyone wants to do their favorite Dylan song rather than the song that they might actually be able to handle. If you get called to do a Dylan album, I'd recommend not trying to do something off Highway 61 Revisited.I honestly don't think anyone has done a good job of covering a song off that album, though I'm sure some would disagree. Blonde On Blonde is also asking for trouble, but it can be done. Did you guys know Lenny Kravitz recorded a version of "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35"? I'm telling you so you can avoid it. I beg of you, do not seek it out.
I think you're onto something there ..H61 and BOB are two of Dylan's most accomplished records, musically speaking ..maybe its something to do with that. The best Dylan covers are usually the rawer ones that benefit a sweeter vocalist. 'Desire' probably *is* Dylan's most musically accomplished album. Is there a good cover from that? Can't think of any.

Hard to look past Hendrix and I think my personal favourite is the Elvis one (I think Dylan says its his fave too)

this is a nice amateur video setting the tune to clips from "Paris, Texas"! I like what Jeff did with this i.e copying Dylan's best ever arrangement of the song, the one that deserves a release, the one from the tribute to John Hammond show in '75 with Scarlet Riviera's awesome counter-melodies.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:05 pm

There is the White Stripes cover of "One More Cup of Coffee." It's very good, depending on how much you like Jack White, though I wouldn't put it among my favorite Dylan covers (musically it's good, but his voice grates here).

I also saw Ryan Adams, Gillian Welch, and David Rawlings cover "Joey" on stage in 2003...which is about as good as you can expect considering Joey is 2 hours long and not very good.
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

BirdBrain
Indier Than Thou

Postby BirdBrain » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:33 pm

^ Ok, that was a pretty good arrangement ..I agree on the voice thing, I didnt need all that echo

This ain't bad but its far from CP's best cover:

this is her best Dylan song:

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:51 pm

^I waited patiently to view each new picture in the Kingsport Town video. She's very very very very very very very pretty.
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

BirdBrain
Indier Than Thou

Postby BirdBrain » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:13 pm

that picture where she is draped in the US flag ...mother of mercy :!:

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:21 pm

^we could easily derail this thread with hot pictures of the stunning Ms. Marshall. Instead, I will bitch more about Dylan tribute albums.

Check out the tracklisting on this. I'm not saying they're necessarily all terrible, but at least 50% of these artists shouldn't even be trying a Dylan song (that includes artists I like) and another 40% have chosen a terrible song. I'm Not There is pretty hit or miss but it did a way better job of curating the artists than this did.
Disc 1
No. Title Artist(s) Length
1. "One Too Many Mornings" Johnny Cash feat. The Avett Brothers
2. "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat" Raphael Saadiq
3. "Drifter's Escape" Patti Smith
4. "Ballad of Hollis Brown" Rise Against
5. "Blind Willie McTell" The Nightwatchman
6. "Corrina, Corrina" (Traditional) Pete Townshend
7. "Most of the Time" Bettye LaVette
8. "This Wheel's on Fire" (Dylan, Rick Danko) Charlie Winston
9. "Simple Twist of Fate" Diana Krall
10. "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" Brett Dennen
11. "Love Sick" Mariachi El Bronx
12. "Blowin' in the Wind" Ziggy Marley
13. "Changing of the Guards" The Gaslight Anthem
14. "Not Dark Yet" Silversun Pickups
15. "You're a Big Girl Now" My Morning Jacket
16. "Boots of Spanish Leather" The Airborne Toxic Event
17. "Girl from the North Country" Sting
18. "Restless Farewell" Mark Knopfler
Disc 2
1. "Outlaw Blues" Queens of the Stone Age
2. "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" Lenny Kravitz
3. "One More Cup of Coffee (Valley Below)" Steve Earle & Lucia Micarelli
4. "Heart of Mine" Blake Mills
5. "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" Miley Cyrus
6. "Lay Down Your Weary Tune" Billy Bragg
7. "License to Kill" Elvis Costello
8. "Lay, Lady, Lay" Angelique Kidjo
9. "Ring Them Bells" Natasha Bedingfield
10. "Love Minus Zero/No Limit" Jackson Browne
11. "Seven Curses (Live)" Joan Baez
12. "No Time to Think" The Belle Brigade
13. "Tonight I'll Be Staying Here with You (Live)" Sugarland
14. "Mr. Tambourine Man" Jack's Mannequin
15. "4th Time Around" Oren Lavie
16. "All I Really Want to Do" Sussan Deyhim
17. "Make You Feel My Love (Recorded Live at WXPN)" Adele
Disc 3
1. "With God on Our Side" K'naan
2. "I Want You" Ximena Sariñana
3. "She Belongs to Me" Neil Finn with Pajama Club
4. "Bob Dylan's Dream" Bryan Ferry
5. "Tomorrow Is a Long Time" Zee Avi
6. "Just Like a Woman" Carly Simon
7. "The Times They Are a-Changin'" Flogging Molly
8. "Buckets of Rain" Fistful of Mercy
9. "Man of Peace" Joe Perry
10. "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" Bad Religion
11. "Desolation Row (Live)" My Chemical Romance
12. "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" RedOne featuring Nabil Khayat
13. "Abandoned Love" Paul Rodgers & Nils Lofgren
14. "New Morning" Darren Criss featuring Chuck Criss of Freelance Whales
15. "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" Cage the Elephant
16. "It Ain't Me, Babe" Band of Skulls
17. "Property of Jesus" Sinéad O'Connor
18. "Shelter from the Storm" Ed Roland and the Sweet Tea Project
19. "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" Kesha
20. "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" Kronos Quartet
Disc 4
1. "I Shall Be Released" Maroon 5
2. "Political World" Carolina Chocolate Drops
3. "Like a Rolling Stone" Seal & Jeff Beck
4. "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream" Taj Mahal
5. "Señor (Tales of Yankee Power) (Live)" Dierks Bentley
6. "One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)" Mick Hucknall
7. "I'll Remember You" Thea Gilmore
8. "John Brown" State Radio
9. "All Along the Watchtower (Live)" Dave Matthews Band
10. "Subterranean Homesick Blues" Michael Franti
11. "Mama, You Been on My Mind" We Are Augustines
12. "Tryin' to Get to Heaven" Lucinda Williams
13. "Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)" Kris Kristofferson
14. "Gotta Serve Somebody" Eric Burdon
15. "I'd Have You Anytime" (George Harrison, Dylan) Evan Rachel Wood
16. "Baby, Let Me Follow You Down (Live)" (Trad arr. by Eric von Schmidt) Marianne Faithfull
17. "Forever Young" Pete Seeger with the Rivertown Kids
18. "Chimes of Freedom" Bob Dylan

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:11 pm

Also, I really have a hard time listening to "Desire" these days. It used to be my favorite Dylan album, but it's hard to go back to. One, because all those songs are just played out for me, and two because I really don't like his singing on that album. There's a lot of yell-singing that I just don't like. I'm listening to a lot of the shat upon Dylan stuff lately like Slow Train Coming, Street Legal and Infidels. Underrated!

BirdBrain
Indier Than Thou

Postby BirdBrain » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:14 pm

Beldo wrote:
5. "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" Miley Cyrus
11. "Desolation Row (Live)" My Chemical Romance
1. "I Shall Be Released" Maroon 5
I just YouTubed these ones for car crash reasons. Maroon 5 come out the best as they pretty much stick to The Band's arrangement of the song. My Chemical Romance is absolutely atrocious (Dylan's 10+ minute visionary epics such as this, 'Sad Eyed Lady' and 'Its Alright Ma' should never be attempted by anyone, ever) and Miley Cyrus is country pop fluff. Oh well, if it gets a few kids into Dylan it might be a good thing. I might not be listening to Dylan either if it wasn't for liking what The Byrds did with his songs.

BirdBrain
Indier Than Thou

Postby BirdBrain » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:26 pm

'Street Legal' is amazing, I think its the last album where Dylan had a strong, powerful rock voice. For this reason you can also draw a line after which Dylan's dodgy 80s period officially began. Changing of the Guards/New Pony/No Time To Think is just a great opening trio of tunes.

I dunno, I still really like 'Desire'. The 1975 live album really opened it up for me. That whole Rolling Thunder period was amazing from Bob. Pity 'Joey' is such a dirge ..putting 'Abandoned Love' on it instead would have made it an 11/10 album.

Loving the Dylan talk!

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:39 pm

Yeah, Street Legal is kinda like Dylan does Springsteen (which is funny, since the early Springsteen is Springsteen doing Dylan/Van Morrison). I think it's fantastic. I love the sax. I can see why some people don't like the backup singers, but it doesn't bother me that much, although he didn't really need them on EVERY song.
Infidels is another one that seems like it could have been much better, but Dylan screwed it up with the song selection. Also, Mark Knopfler was apparently unable to finish mixing the album because he had to go tour with Dire Straits, so the mix out there is the engineer's mix that had to be done quickly to meet a deadline. It's a shame, because "Jokerman," "Sweetheart Like You" and "Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight" are great songs and "Lord Protect My Child" and "Someone's Got A Hold Of My Heart" would have been great additions. Don't get me wrong, it's still very much an '80s album of love songs, but it could have been a good one.

Also, can we get a good version of Jokerman that Dylan did with the Mexican punk/new wave band The Plugz released?

BirdBrain
Indier Than Thou

Postby BirdBrain » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:59 pm

Yeah, that "Jokerman" is a top 5 YouTube all time clip. I downloaded it while back just in case it got pulled! The band is so good: the guitarist has a Tele tone to die for and the drummer is playing like its the best song ever. I didn't know they were called The Plugz. Have they anything else worth hearing? Pity he didn't record with them ...the idea of Bob doing a new wave-y album is a mouth watering (ear watering?) prospect