Best Dylan Covers?

Artists, Albums, Songs and New Releases
Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Re: Best Dylan Covers?

Postby Beldo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:17 pm

I've never heard anything else by them, or at least if I have I didn't know it. Apparently they're in Repo Man and on the soundtrack, and were featured in the first Decline of Western Civilization. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plugz

Apparently he hooked up with him to do some demos in Malibu in '83, where they were also joined by Charlie Sexton (years before he started playing with Dylan regularly). I'm dying to hear those demos, especially considering the albums that followed Infidels (apart from Oh Mercy) were objectively his worst. What could have been.
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

noteethleroy
You're so Politically Correct

Postby noteethleroy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:28 am

Did this one get mentioned yet?

noteethleroy

Postby noteethleroy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:35 am

My wife is a huge fan of this one, it's grown on me as well.

howard
Beavis

Postby howard » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:56 am

Kizmiaz
RA Douchiness

Postby Kizmiaz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:24 am

I just love that Built To Spill cover of Jokerman. It has this menace in it that I just can´t get enough of. Also, Street Legal is top 3 Dylan in my book.
Beldo wrote: Damn foreigners

DADDY

Postby DADDY » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:32 pm

Beldo wrote:I've never heard anything else by them, or at least if I have I didn't know it. Apparently they're in Repo Man and on the soundtrack, and were featured in the first Decline of Western Civilization. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plugz

Apparently he hooked up with him to do some demos in Malibu in '83, where they were also joined by Charlie Sexton (years before he started playing with Dylan regularly). I'm dying to hear those demos, especially considering the albums that followed Infidels (apart from Oh Mercy) were objectively his worst. What could have been.
Yeah, I have an old Plugz lp due to my love of the film Repo Man. I think it's just a s/t affair if memory serves (and it probably doesn't). I'm sure Charks could probably remember better, as it seems he and I shared a similar album collection. I think they did Hombre Secreto, a latino version of Secret Agent Man among others.

bltkmt
Bernie Bro

Postby bltkmt » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:32 pm

They did a song "Blue Sofa" that is awesome.

Sent from my mind using magic
Tuxedo T-shirt wrote:I mean I don't even know how they let you post here if you haven't developed a gamma-radiation imaging system yet. This isn't Reddit.

bltkmt
Bernie Bro

Postby bltkmt » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:38 am

Tuxedo T-shirt wrote:I mean I don't even know how they let you post here if you haven't developed a gamma-radiation imaging system yet. This isn't Reddit.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:26 pm

Great tune! I wonder why it seems like all their stuff is out of print?
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:50 pm

Not sure if anyone posted this, but it's one of the best from the I'm Not There soundtrack

Waylon's take on Don't Think Twice, It's Alright is really good. His voice is great for the material.

Also kinda dig X's take on Positively 4th Street

Apparently Westerberg does a version, too?

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:46 pm

Quite the original take on this Street Legal tune

howard
Beavis

Postby howard » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:32 pm

howard
Beavis

Postby howard » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:33 pm

Rowsdower
Chestnut Mare

Postby Rowsdower » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:02 pm

sweet

blistering

Rowsdower
Chestnut Mare

Postby Rowsdower » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:11 pm

I'm biased but this is also one of the greats

The story seems a little too coincidental. Don't you think Paul knew Dylan would probably hear and decided to wreck the moment, Mats style?

He was producing an album by the Replacements, and Dylan, who was recording nearby, dropped in to check them out – at the very moment, as it happens, that Paul Westerberg, the Replacements’ leader, was launching into a Dylan parody of theirs called “Like a Rolling Pin.” Westerberg, his back turned to the control room, failed to notice Dylan standing there, and Litt, to Westerberg’s later chagrin, didn’t stop him.

When the song was over, Dylan, who was wearing a hoodie, said, “You guys rehearse much?,” and then walked out.