Sun Kil Moon - CALALARVOB - 02.28.17

Artists, Albums, Songs and New Releases
DADDY
You're so Politically Correct

Re: Sun Kil Moon - CALALARVOB - 02.28.2017

Postby DADDY » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Someday I'll realize Koz has been naked for these past few years while I have been foolishly admiring his fine clothes.

Thanks for posting his latest handsome cape from Portugal Kiz!

El Santo
Chestnut Mare

Postby El Santo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm

The music is actually OK on this one, save for the mediocre vocal melodies per usual.
The lyrics are kind of like a "what I did on my summer vacation" but for big people
"If anything, I don't think Trump is taking it far enough" - noodle

nacho
Chestnut Mare

Postby nacho » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:02 pm

Rowsdower
Chestnut Mare

Postby Rowsdower » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:57 am

Kizmiaz
RA Douchiness

Re: Sun Kil Moon - CALALARVOB - 02.28.17

Postby Kizmiaz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:13 am

The record is streaming now http://www.sunkilmoon.com/commonaslight/
Beldo wrote: Damn foreigners

Kizmiaz
RA Douchiness

Postby Kizmiaz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:49 am

Beldo wrote: Damn foreigners

DADDY

Postby DADDY » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks for these Kiz!!! Would you be a dove and just give me the talking points on the Conner interview for the sake of time? I am at work after all. Just kidding good buddy, I will be reading this tonight whilst listening to the dreamy stream.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:05 pm

"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

DADDY

Postby DADDY » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:58 pm

Doesn't surprise me. It's been going on here (at ACT) since Benji. I haven't listened to this yet, save for some samples. I'm sure it will fall in place somewhere between the Jesu thing and Ghosts. Judging by the early "word," closer to the Jesu side of things. I did laugh at the tweet that pondered what his fans have done to him to deserve this? Love him? I do feel that the title of this album is NOT a good indication of things to come but I'll keep an open mind . . . and yes . . . an open heart. (traces heart on chest then points at the camera)

Rowsdower
Chestnut Mare

Postby Rowsdower » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:47 pm

If it's a whole album of this then GOOD!

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:10 pm

DADDY wrote:
Doesn't surprise me. It's been going on here (at ACT) since Benji. I haven't listened to this yet, save for some samples. I'm sure it will fall in place somewhere between the Jesu thing and Ghosts. Judging by the early "word," closer to the Jesu side of things. I did laugh at the tweet that pondered what his fans have done to him to deserve this? Love him? I do feel that the title of this album is NOT a good indication of things to come but I'll keep an open mind . . . and yes . . . an open heart. (traces heart on chest then points at the camera)
Hyden was quick to point out that he thinks Benji is a classic, which is even more indication that this is Koz going way off the reservation
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

DADDY

Postby DADDY » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:53 pm

I see this too as kind of inevitable. I mean back in the day when Mark was making records . . . well, most so called Koz fans liked, his audience was small. Since Benji he's had a lot more notice. Whether this is attributed to people had been slowly coming around for ever and the critical praise that was heaped on Benji plus the already generated goodwill moved Mark into another tier celebrity-wise. I don't know. I'm not saying that Mark is playing it safe. I think there are several things going on that make him do what he does including having a laugh, actually following his muse, AND being kind of a dick. I don't think he's going back to his past sound anytime soon. I personally am glad I never stuck with music, the thought of someone considering that I'd dissapeared up my own ass because I chose to take some artistic chances makes me laugh.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:03 pm

He seems to be riding a fine line between "experimental" and "how much can I get away with?" which...many people might argue 90% of the time that "experimental" IS just an artist saying "how much can I get away with?" so it is hard to say whether this is the outer limits of his experimental tendencies or if he's just pushing the boundaries of what people will take from him. It's also hard not to take into account that he seems like a pretty lazy dude.

El Santo
Chestnut Mare

Postby El Santo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:30 pm

This was kind of a test of my patience. Like "Benji", it has a few high points where there's some real heartfelt transparency on there, some low points that don't need to be there at all, and the overall length of the album is an issue. The difference between those two albums though, is that on this one, the high points aren't as high, the low points are more frequent, and it has almost doubled in length.

This album might have been better than "Universal Themes" in some ways, and I would have potentially liked it more, if only had the fat been trimmed away. Although that would have removed about 60% of the album. I'm only one listen in, so I guess things could change a bit, but I'd put this at either his worst or his second worst. (This isn't including the Jesu collab. )
"If anything, I don't think Trump is taking it far enough" - noodle

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:30 am

This review is long and poorly edited but it sounds like this album is absolutely bonkers http://www.stereogum.com/1925819/premat ... n=timeline