Sun Kil Moon - CALALARVOB - 02.28.17

Artists, Albums, Songs and New Releases
Petty
Ladies Man

Re: Sun Kil Moon - CALALARVOB - 02.28.17

Postby Petty » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Beldo wrote:This review is long and poorly edited but it sounds like this album is absolutely bonkers http://www.stereogum.com/1925819/premat ... n=timeline
If, by "Bonkers", you mean "Suckass"....then, yeah it's that. I'm only two songs in and I already want to quit. I'm glad I have Spotify and didn't buy this. I'd be pissed.
I sold my guitar to the girl next door
She asked me if I knew how
I told her, "I don't think so, anymore"

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:44 pm

^can't it be both bonkers AND suckass? I only say bonkers cause it sounds like he's trying SOMETHING but it's some combination of extreme laziness and extreme self-indulgence.
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

Petty
Ladies Man

Postby Petty » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:47 pm

I don't know, Abover. I think there is a certain point where an albums suckassedness overpowers it's bonkerishness and simply becomes suckass.

Though I'll admit, I'm kinda liking Philadelphia Cop.

El Santo
Chestnut Mare

Postby El Santo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:37 am

I thought "Benji" was OK. A lot of it was boring or self-indulgent as stated by the Beldmeister above, but it also did some stuff that I'm not sure I'd really heard done before. It was all over the place, but still had some moments on there that even the earlier SKM albums didn't quite reach. Little moments of extreme honesty. Maybe there's less longevity or "artistic value" in lyrics that are so straightforward, but I thought it was a welcome change. It's a unique style.

That said, I think this album tries to do a lot of the same things, but just doesn't reach the level. It has less of the good and more of the bad.
"If anything, I don't think Trump is taking it far enough" - noodle

DADDY
You're so Politically Correct

Postby DADDY » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:27 pm

This is pretty big to digest, and I think y'all tend to weigh in on albums too quickly (sez the kneejerkiest guy on here) but there is absolutely too much interesting things going on with this to just write it off as "lazy" or "self indulgent."

Isn't all art kind of self indulgent? Anyway, I'm not saying there isn't merit to those claims, I'm just saying I don't know.

bhholmes20
Tweedy's Sidekick

Re: Sun Kil Moon - CALALARVOB - 02.28.2017

Postby bhholmes20 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:14 pm

Petty wrote:I've had it with the Koz and his talk-singing. Still love the old stuff, though I don't get excited when he releases things.
Why is he still doing this? I could get over it if it was just one album like this, but I guess this is his thing now. Doesn't work for me at all.

3legcat
Gilmomentum

Postby 3legcat » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:02 am

i am too lazy for to listen to koz's audible talk singing observations, if these were not from kozelek i don't think i would even have heard of these records

Petty
Ladies Man

Postby Petty » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:53 pm

DADDY wrote:This is pretty big to digest, and I think y'all tend to weigh in on albums too quickly (sez the kneejerkiest guy on here) but there is absolutely too much interesting things going on with this to just write it off as "lazy" or "self indulgent."

Isn't all art kind of self indulgent? Anyway, I'm not saying there isn't merit to those claims, I'm just saying I don't know.
I'm all in favor of artists making difficult albums if there's something there. I just don't think this is the case with Koz anymore. I think he's run out of things to say and is just putting random thoughts to music. Granted, I only listened to this monstrosity once, but I didn't get the feeling that there was much of anything there that needed repeated listens to digest. I could be completely off-base, but I don't think so.

DADDY

Postby DADDY » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:48 am

Petty wrote: I think he's run out of things to say and is just putting random thoughts to music.
This seems to be the general consensus. You are in good company. To hear Mick Jagger talk about exiles, you'd swear he considered it as Keith's CALALARVOB. I don't know. Pick your favorite artist. Hopefully someone with a HUGE back catalog of music. They are playing a concert and you (NOT you Petty, the universal you) request said artists oldest song. At what point does this become an issue for an artist? Mick still sings Satisfaction, the Who still sing (shudder) My Generation. Kurt Cobain swallowed a shotgun. Maybe Koz has found the prudent middle ground.

Or maybe he's actually run out of things to say, yet chooses waaay more words in order to illustrate this fact.

Kizmiaz
RA Douchiness

Postby Kizmiaz » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:30 am

I don´t think Koz has run out of things to say but he has run out of metaphors and found his own way to deal with it. Just like Nick Cave did at a similar point in his life. I found this observation from the Pitchfork review apt.

"The reason why similarly quotidian story-songs like “Gustavo” or “Jim Wise” hit so hard was because they resulted in double portraits: You learned more about Kozelek through his observations of others. On Common as Light, Kozelek fills the whole frame, increasing the humor and anger, but sacrificing the subtlety. If the diaristic style he developed on his last few releases has been generously compared to novelists like Karl Ove Knausgård or James Joyce, then these songs feel more like Larry David or, at their most vulgar, “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.”
Beldo wrote: Damn foreigners

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Yeah, I'm okay with him eschewing metaphors and poetic language in favor of more direct language as long as the results are more Gustavo and less...whatever this is.
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

DADDY

Postby DADDY » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:23 pm

Wait. Larry David is awesome.

Kizmiaz
RA Douchiness

Postby Kizmiaz » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:59 pm

DADDY wrote:Wait. Larry David is awesome.
So is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Beldo wrote: Damn foreigners

nacho
Chestnut Mare

Postby nacho » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:19 am

Live is where these songs will really shine.

El Santo
Chestnut Mare

Postby El Santo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:14 pm

nacho wrote:Live is where these songs will really shine.
Things will benefit greatly from insults and general grumpiness being peppered between each song.
"If anything, I don't think Trump is taking it far enough" - noodle