The Grateful Dead

Artists, Albums, Songs and New Releases
ingerlou
Johnny Cash's Drinkin' Buddy

The Grateful Dead

Postby ingerlou » Mon May 15, 2017 11:05 am

I've always been a casual fan of the Dead, but that's about it. I have and like American Beauty and Workingman's Dead, but have never REALLY dug into the Dead's catalog. Obviously in the last few years they've enjoyed a resurgence, and they are without a doubt one of those bands that can bring people together from all over the music spectrum. I am often shocked at some of the people I meet that are hard-core Deadheads. Pitchfork recently reviewed a bootleg that was just released from a show at Cornell in '77. This show is considered by many to be their very best. I listened to it, and while I enjoyed it a little, I'm still missing something. Anyone else a little conflicted by this band? I want to love them, but I'm not sure I can. I keep giving them chances, but I'm not sure it's working.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Re: The Grateful Dead

Postby Beldo » Mon May 15, 2017 11:11 am

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've heard it's one of those things that once you get it, you're in, but it might take a while to get it, if you ever do. That said, I do like quite a bit of their studio stuff, even though people "in the know" insist it's inferior. Of the live stuff I've heard, Reckoning was by far my favorite (it's acoustic, which helps).
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

Scot Halpin
Moonshiner

Postby Scot Halpin » Mon May 15, 2017 11:47 am

I've only been to one Dead show(Jerry's last) so I don't consider myself a Deadhead. I do have about 20 CD's and a bunch of cassettes that I used to tape from a show called The Grateful Dead Hour. American Beauty and Workingmans are my favorite studio albums and One from the Vault is my favorite live release.

my favorite version of Eyes of the World

Blaze
Chestnut Mare

Postby Blaze » Mon May 15, 2017 3:47 pm

I never got into them, but never tried too hard either. There is far too much stuff from the past that I want to check out and explore, that not getting into the Dead would give me a lot more time for that.
“What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?”

ingerlou

Postby ingerlou » Tue May 16, 2017 10:10 am

Beldo wrote:Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've heard it's one of those things that once you get it, you're in, but it might take a while to get it, if you ever do. That said, I do like quite a bit of their studio stuff, even though people "in the know" insist it's inferior. Of the live stuff I've heard, Reckoning was by far my favorite (it's acoustic, which helps).
I too really like their studio albums. I'm ok with a 4 minute song.

track11
Mansplain it, Bernie

Postby track11 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:46 pm

A friend in high school gave me two Dead shows on tape.
The Cornell '77 show and 8/27/72 Venetta, OR.
Cornell was OK.
But the Oregon show made me a fan.
If you can get past the announcer every now and then, this is one of the finest sets out there.
As mentioned, it was in '72. A lot of folks think this was one of their peak years. ('77 being another esteemed tour.)
Great harmonies, top notch playing (heorin did not have a hold of Jerry yet), new piano player (Keith Gochaux), and his wife Donna Jean as backup singer...

http://open.spotify.com/album/1E4MXxSYoAMN5qpy1y6aBm

ingerlou

Postby ingerlou » Tue May 16, 2017 4:27 pm

track11 wrote:A friend in high school gave me two Dead shows on tape.
Cornell was OK.
If you can get past the announcer every now and then, this is one of the finest sets out there.
As mentioned, it was in '72. A lot of folks think this was one of their peak years. ('77 being another esteemed tour.)
Great harmonies, top notch playing (heorin did not have a hold of Jerry yet), new piano player (Keith Gochaux), and his wife Donna Jean as backup singer...

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out that Oregon show ASAP.

Scot Halpin
Moonshiner

Postby Scot Halpin » Tue May 16, 2017 6:21 pm

Check out Jerry solo or with David Grisman, if you haven't already.

Mack
Diaper Baby

Postby Mack » Tue May 16, 2017 6:31 pm

track11 wrote:A friend in high school gave me two Dead shows on tape.
Cornell was OK.

Listening to Venetta now. MUCH tighter product than I have heard from them before. Thanks for the heads-up.

track11
Mansplain it, Bernie

Postby track11 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Nice!
It's a big set.
Took me awhile to get through it.
Enjoy!

Nortwoods
Asshole Casserole

Postby Nortwoods » Wed May 17, 2017 9:32 am

I think what made that Cornell Show one of "The Very Best" was that back in the day it was not only a great show (especially set 2) but one of the easiest shows to get a great quality soundboard tape of. Seems something gets lost in the translation when they remaster it and sell it in a new shiny package at "The Very Best" though.

My very favorite is Madison Square Garden 9-10-91 w/Branford Marsalis sitting in. Chill yet inspired late era show with a monster Shakedown Opener one of the best High Times ever:

https://archive.org/details/gd91-09-10. ... sbeok.shnf
The contribution phase is coming to an end.

Nortwoods
Asshole Casserole

Postby Nortwoods » Wed May 17, 2017 9:55 am

Beldo wrote: Of the live stuff I've heard, Reckoning was by far my favorite (it's acoustic, which helps).
I love Reckoning, wish they would have played acoustic more often.

Nortwoods
Asshole Casserole

Postby Nortwoods » Wed May 17, 2017 10:24 am

track11 wrote:Nice!
It's a big set.
Enjoy!
Have you spied this?

track11
Mansplain it, Bernie

Postby track11 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:29 am

Nortwoods wrote:
track11 wrote:Nice!
It's a big set.
Enjoy!
Have you spied this?

:shock:
No. No. I have not!
:dance:

Noodle
Billary Nixon

Postby Noodle » Wed May 17, 2017 5:17 pm

I was pretty heavy into the Dead for a period of about six years or show. Went to a bunch of shows on both coasts, both the Dead and JGB. Used to collect and trade bootlegs - my absolute favorite was one in Ithaca in 1971, which makes me believe it was a tune up show for the epic 1972 tour. I think a lot of it comes down to personal song preference - I really liked the Eyes of the World from that show.

Or there are certain moments that make a show memorable - I remember seeing them (with Crosby, Stills and Nash opening) in Pittsburgh in the summer of 1990. They were in towards the end of a rather lackluster Not Fade Away, when Phil Lesh moved too close to the mic stand and accidentally touched one of his bass strings to the stand. It made a horrible sound, and everyone stopped playing and looked at him. He paused a split second, and then absolutely tore into the bass line of (Turn on Your) Lovelight. The rest of the show was absolutely incredible from an energy standpoint, like they were all compensating for his goof.

There's a JGB show from 1992, where I got tickets for my youngest brother and myself to congratulate him for kicking hard drugs and getting back into college. It was at UCLA, we had floor passes, and got within about five feet of Jerry as he played. Amazing to see up close - he had such an efficiency of movement that it didn't seem possible he was hitting so many notes. But it was mostly about my brother and I enjoying the time and show together.

So for me at least, favorite shows are personal and based on the situation more than sound quality.
"I never said all that shit." - Confucious