The Grateful Dead

Artists, Albums, Songs and New Releases
ingerlou
Johnny Cash's Drinkin' Buddy

Re: The Grateful Dead

Postby ingerlou » Thu May 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Noodle wrote:I was pretty heavy into the Dead for a period of about six years or show. Went to a bunch of shows on both coasts, both the Dead and JGB. Used to collect and trade bootlegs - my absolute favorite was one in Ithaca in 1971, which makes me believe it was a tune up show for the epic 1972 tour. I think a lot of it comes down to personal song preference - I really liked the Eyes of the World from that show.

Or there are certain moments that make a show memorable - I remember seeing them (with Crosby, Stills and Nash opening) in Pittsburgh in the summer of 1990. They were in towards the end of a rather lackluster Not Fade Away, when Phil Lesh moved too close to the mic stand and accidentally touched one of his bass strings to the stand. It made a horrible sound, and everyone stopped playing and looked at him. He paused a split second, and then absolutely tore into the bass line of (Turn on Your) Lovelight. The rest of the show was absolutely incredible from an energy standpoint, like they were all compensating for his goof.

There's a JGB show from 1992, where I got tickets for my youngest brother and myself to congratulate him for kicking hard drugs and getting back into college. It was at UCLA, we had floor passes, and got within about five feet of Jerry as he played. Amazing to see up close - he had such an efficiency of movement that it didn't seem possible he was hitting so many notes. But it was mostly about my brother and I enjoying the time and show together.

So for me at least, favorite shows are personal and based on the situation more than sound quality.
I can't think of a better place to take a newly sober person than a Dead/JGB show! :lol:

Great stories. I wish I had gone to at least one show. I think it would help with my appreciation.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Thu May 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Chris Robinson was laying into John Mayer on Howard Stern the other day. Not a fan of his work with Dead & Co.
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

ingerlou

Postby ingerlou » Thu May 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Poor John Mayer. He has tried so hard to get street cred, but no matter what he does, he's still "Your Body is a Wonderland" John Mayer. I think he's the ultimate cheesedick, so I enjoy watching it.

RA's Editor

Postby 1973 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:10 pm

I had previously been mildly annoyed by the Dead outside of the two aforementioned killer folk albums. And Deadheads mildly annoyed me, in general, even though most of the friends I made for many years were Deadheads. We both liked our herbs and playing extended jams on the guitar.

My like of guitar jams never extended much into listening to them... Until about 6 months ago. All of that hippie shit is sounding oh so sweet to my ears. All the noodling. Dead, JGB, all of it. I have no goddamned idea what happened, but somehow that switch flipped. I still findDeadheads mildly annoying, though. :D

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Thu May 18, 2017 4:16 pm

ingerlou wrote:Poor John Mayer. He has tried so hard to get street cred, but no matter what he does, he's still "Your Body is a Wonderland" John Mayer. I think he's the ultimate cheesedick, so I enjoy watching it.
I wonder if he's accepted in the Dead scene overall. What I remember reading was he was very good at sounding like Jerry technically, but had none of the soul, which is about as subjective an opinion as you can get. I wonder if the guy weren't a famous cheesedick if he'd get that much shit.
"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

ingerlou

Postby ingerlou » Thu May 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Beldo wrote:
ingerlou wrote:Poor John Mayer. He has tried so hard to get street cred, but no matter what he does, he's still "Your Body is a Wonderland" John Mayer. I think he's the ultimate cheesedick, so I enjoy watching it.
I wonder if he's accepted in the Dead scene overall. What I remember reading was he was very good at sounding like Jerry technically, but had none of the soul, which is about as subjective an opinion as you can get. I wonder if the guy weren't a famous cheesedick if he'd get that much shit.
I gotta believe they see him for what he is.

track11
Mansplain it, Bernie

Postby track11 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:56 pm

ingerlou wrote:
Beldo wrote:
I like John Mayer. Not all of it but a lot of it is good.
AND, I'm going with some friends to the Phoenix Dead & Co. show so I will see first hand how he treats the songs.
(From what I hear, he surprised a lot of folks with his playing. Hope to see it first hand.)

Rusty
Ching Chaos

Postby Rusty » Thu May 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Ah the Dead.

I was in high school from '74-'77 and college from '77-'81. Dead mania was everywhere. In high school I was into the hard rockers, in college it was Springsteen and the punks. Dead heads were all asshole dopers to me. Being a music geek I went to a show in '78. Was bored stiff for 2 + hours (including a one hour Terrapin Station). Then they lit it up for the final half hour and I was, like, ok I see that they can be good. But I was really pissed for them wasting my time for the rest of the night when they could have been good. The fans drive me nuts, the twirling, the dope smoking, the lack of personal hygiene.

As a result I hated the Dead for many years. I mean virulently hated anything to do with them. But time passes, people age and mellow. I would notice that I liked a song or two. Then another song would bring back a fun memory of yesteryear. About six months ago I caught myself making a 25 song Dead playlist. My wife came home one night and said incredulously "are YOU listening to the Grateful Dead?" I sheepishly admitted I was and we both sang along with the songs and had a merry old evening.

I doubt I could make it through a bootlegged show and I know I would not want to see them again - even if Jerry came back from the grave. But I am at peace with them and can appreciate that, when on their game, they made some fine music and there's no need to be a hater. Maybe all these years in hippie Vermont have worn off on me.

track11
Mansplain it, Bernie

Postby track11 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:30 am

Great stuff abovers! :clap:

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Fri May 19, 2017 12:59 pm

ingerlou wrote:
Beldo wrote:
I just realized Phil Lesh isn't involved in Dead & Company. Robinson is close with Lesh. Wouldn't be surprised if he's saying what Lesh also feels.

ingerlou

Postby ingerlou » Fri May 19, 2017 8:56 pm

What is Mayer's connection to the Dead? For instance, Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes just seem like obvious guys to play with the Allman Brothers. At no point do you think, "why the hell are they up there?" Does Mayer have a connection I'm unaware of? Perhaps my friend Track 11 can fill me in, since he is an avid Mayer fan.

Beldo
Chestnut Mare

Postby Beldo » Mon May 22, 2017 9:46 am

ingerlou wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 8:56 pm
What is Mayer's connection to the Dead? For instance, Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes just seem like obvious guys to play with the Allman Brothers. At no point do you think, "why the hell are they up there?" Does Mayer have a connection I'm unaware of? Perhaps my friend Track 11 can fill me in, since he is an avid Mayer fan.
According to Wikipedia, this is how it came about. Yes, he discovered them on Pandora.
Mayer recounted that in 2011 he happened upon a song by the Grateful Dead while listening to Pandora, and that soon the band's music was all he would listen to.[3] In February 2015, while guest hosting the The Late Late Show, Mayer invited Grateful Dead guitar player Bob Weir to join him in a studio performance. Weir, Mickey Hart, and Bill Kreutzmann (surviving members of the Grateful Dead) were preparing for their Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of the Grateful Dead tour, and invited Mayer to join them; he began practicing the band's catalog of songs. That August, they formed the group Dead & Company, along with Jeff Chimenti and Oteil Burbridge, and began a fall tour in the United States.[117] The tour was well received (Billboard called it "magical"[4]), and they continued to tour the US into 2016.[4]

track11
Mansplain it, Bernie

Postby track11 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:10 am

Beldo wrote:
ingerlou wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 8:56 pm
According to Wikipedia, this is how it came about. Yes, he discovered them on Pandora.
Mayer recounted that in 2011 he happened upon a song by the Grateful Dead while listening to Pandora, and that soon the band's music was all he would listen to.[3] In February 2015, while guest hosting the The Late Late Show, Mayer invited Grateful Dead guitar player Bob Weir to join him in a studio performance. Weir, Mickey Hart, and Bill Kreutzmann (surviving members of the Grateful Dead) were preparing for their Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of the Grateful Dead tour, and invited Mayer to join them; he began practicing the band's catalog of songs. That August, they formed the group Dead & Company, along with Jeff Chimenti and Oteil Burbridge, and began a fall tour in the United States.[117] The tour was well received (Billboard called it "magical"[4]), and they continued to tour the US into 2016.[4]
Thanks, Beldo!
Did not know that.

KnobTwister
Cleveland Steamer

Postby KnobTwister » Mon May 22, 2017 12:04 pm

I'm a fan, and to some degree, always have been. But nobody likes hard core dead heads except other hard core deadheads. The music of Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter is great, and it does not need the spectacle of hippie shit to be great. One recommendation I'd make for this crowd is to check out the Europe '72 album. Some pretty good sound board recordings featuring ragtime and alt country sounding stuff, some catchy country rockers, and a couple covers of classics. My wife got tickets to the thing the remaining members are doing with John Mayer, and I am refusing to go. Have fun girl!

Not_RMR
ACLU Lawyer

Postby Not_RMR » Mon May 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Never really got into the dead, always considered them overrated. I remember the dead bears being a big deal in highschool with most everyone, and one conversation where some deluded soul swore the Dead's version of Mama Tried was better than Merle's (this was back during the era when the "every kind of music but country" sentiment was the soup de jour and no self professed open minded 90's kid would dare listen to anything labeled country music, "but I like Johnny Cash").

Some of the folks I play with are stereotypically way into them though (they even took a photo recently outside that place in cornell where the "best show" was recorded), and sometimes they'll pull a dead tune out but usually the ones I like are old jug band tunes to begin with. I could probably get into them but at this point I would rather just keep holding out.

RE: Mayer, this discussion actually came up the other night at the bar with a bunch of folks, I didn't realize Mayer was associated with the dead now either. Their was a group of folks heavily defending Mayer so take that anecdotal evidence as you will. My only concession was that Mayer was pretty good on Chappelle's Show.
no more water but the fire next time