The Grateful Dead

Artists, Albums, Songs and New Releases
Not_RMR
ACLU Lawyer

Re: The Grateful Dead

Postby Not_RMR » Mon May 22, 2017 1:53 pm

TL:DR on the above post: "I used to think people were stupid for liking the dead, but that's because I was in high school"
no more water but the fire next time

Macho
Ben Carson's Laundry

Postby Macho » Mon May 22, 2017 3:46 pm

I'm one of the last people to defend Mayer, and I was confused when I first heard of his involvement. But then I watched some YouTube concert footage of him playing with them and I was very impressed. I knew he could play the blues very well, but he's got the Jerry thing down pretty well too.
"Come on me bros" -Blaze

Nortwoods
Asshole Casserole

Postby Nortwoods » Tue May 23, 2017 1:53 pm

KnobTwister wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 12:04 pm
My wife got tickets to the thing the remaining members are doing with John Mayer, and I am refusing to go. Have fun girl!
OH man you should go there's gotta be worse ways to spend a summer night. If someone would have said 10 years ago that in 2017 John Mayer would be playing with the Dead and Donald Trump would be President and one be a Yuuuuuge success I'd never guess Mayer. But he's really good at playing those songs and I honestly don't think he cribs Jerry's playing style all that much.
The contribution phase is coming to an end.

ingerlou
Johnny Cash's Drinkin' Buddy

Postby ingerlou » Wed May 24, 2017 10:07 am

It's as if Pitchfork read this post, b/c they just put up a pretty comprehensive list of songs to check out.

KnobTwister
Cleveland Steamer

Postby KnobTwister » Wed May 24, 2017 10:28 am

Nortwoods wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:53 pm
KnobTwister wrote:
My wife got tickets to the thing the remaining members are doing with John Mayer, and I am refusing to go. Have fun girl!
OH man you should go there's gotta be worse ways to spend a summer night. If someone would have said 10 years ago that in 2017 John Mayer would be playing with the Dead and Donald Trump would be President and one be a Yuuuuuge success I'd never guess Mayer. But he's really good at playing those songs and I honestly don't think he cribs Jerry's playing style all that much.
An endorsement of this sort from a classic human poster may change my mind!

ingerlou

Postby ingerlou » Wed May 24, 2017 5:52 pm

KnobTwister wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 10:28 am
Nortwoods wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:53 pm
KnobTwister wrote:
An endorsement of this sort from a classic human poster may change my mind!
Stick to your guns.

DADDY
You're so Politically Correct

Postby DADDY » Thu May 25, 2017 8:54 am

Like many others, I've always been more annoyed by the fans of the dead than the dead themselves. I like a bunch of dead songs. As for Mayer, I've always hated his music, but he always has come across (to me anyways) as a dude who seems to get that he is hated by a certain population (music snobs) and has handled that with as much self deprecation and grace has a human in that position can be expected to, so I say "Let the kid play." Respect.

track11
Mansplain it, Bernie

Postby track11 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:02 pm

Really good show in Phoenix Sunday night.
We were basically front row, standing in front of Oteil and Mayer.
Sold out venue. (One of those modern, covered pavilions with a lawn in the back.)
Bill Walton was next to us. (As Norts said, that's better then him in front of us!)
Re: The Band and music, a really nice balance of fearlessness and focus, most of it leaning on fearlessness from what I could tell.
Mayer is a wonderful guitar player and though it's impossible to watch his face as he plays (looks to be in extreme gastrointestinal pain when slaying) there were many moments he was bouncing around, smiling at others in the band.
Bob Weir stood to the side of the stage and drove the car while Oteil, Mayer, and keyboard player, Jeff Chimenti, traded glances and stares as they jammed to the Grateful Crowd. Lot's of smiles and moments. Would see them again.

One of the funniest/scariest parts was during the first song, a guy near us blacked out and went down flat on the concrete. A crowd of medics and security gathered around him. Someone behind me leaned over my shoulder and said, "Ah, man. It's just a case of guy down." Two seconds later the downed dude jumped up started dancing.
Strange but wonderful night.

track11
Mansplain it, Bernie

Postby track11 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:03 pm

*lots

ingerlou

Postby ingerlou » Tue May 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Great posts all around guys. Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat re: the Dead. I'll never be a Mayer fan, but I do agree with Daddy that he seems to get the fact that he's not well respected in the music snob world, and he handles it with grace.

track11
Mansplain it, Bernie

Postby track11 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:58 pm

DADDY wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 8:54 am
Like many others, I've always been more annoyed by the fans of the dead than the dead themselves. I like a bunch of dead songs. As for Mayer, I've always hated his music, but he always has come across (to me anyways) as a dude who seems to get that he is hated by a certain population (music snobs) and has handled that with as much self deprecation and grace has a human in that position can be expected to, so I say "Let the kid play." Respect.
:clap:

There was zero ego by JM on display at the show in Phoenix. Nothing but joy.

http://youtu.be/wSHFsVCYhcE

(sans video, just music.)

track11
Mansplain it, Bernie

Postby track11 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:00 pm

*than

KnobTwister
Cleveland Steamer

Postby KnobTwister » Tue May 30, 2017 4:49 pm

I'll also add Jerry Garcia's first studio album, Garcia as a suggestion for the group to check: Deal, Loser, The Wheel and some other good stuff. Shake it Sugaree is a beauty - recently being covered by Phosphorescent and friends on the Dead cover project headed they guy from the National:

http://youtu.be/jhver8g_KZc

The Garcia album is not on Spotify, though, I don't think.

Pickles
Right Wing Nut Job

Postby Pickles » Tue May 30, 2017 10:19 pm

Terrapin Station (books 1-4) was one song on the Jukebox at the Villager. A dude in a suit playing air guitar and two other dudes playing drums is a precious memory. Fifty cents for 16 minutes of air jamming between new buds is priceless. One of them rode up on a razor scooter.

Pickles
Right Wing Nut Job

Postby Pickles » Tue May 30, 2017 10:25 pm

Edit button gone again.

Was going to say that the other guy had a slightly smallish face. Was a walker among the two story bike riding crew. He's the guy who turned me on to the Red House Painters/Koz.