The Grateful Dead

Artists, Albums, Songs and New Releases
WayneVogt
Hilda Spellman

Re: The Grateful Dead

Postby WayneVogt » Wed May 31, 2017 1:37 pm

There was zero ego by JM on display at the show in Phoenix. Nothing but joy.
I was in Vegas Saturday night for the show at the MGM Garden Arena. I had zero interest in liking John Mayer.

2.5 songs in and he had blown me away. Jaw dropped and could not have had a better time. No ego...and he can flat out fucking play the guitar.

The sound and performance was similar to what we saw from them in the mid to late '80s. Much better than the last few years when the band seemed to be exhausted and mailing it in at times.

If you get a chance this summer...go see them.
You broke me like a cigarette.

track11
Mansplain it, Bernie

Postby track11 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:24 am

WayneVogt wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 1:37 pm

There was zero ego by JM on display at the show in Phoenix. Nothing but joy.
I was in Vegas Saturday night for the show at the MGM Garden Arena. I had zero interest in liking John Mayer.

2.5 songs in and he had blown me away. Jaw dropped and could not have had a better time. No ego...and he can flat out fucking play the guitar.

The sound and performance was similar to what we saw from them in the mid to late '80s. Much better than the last few years when the band seemed to be exhausted and mailing it in at times.

If you get a chance this summer...go see them.
\m/

Nortwoods
Asshole Casserole

Postby Nortwoods » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:13 pm

KnobTwister wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 4:49 pm
I'll also add Jerry Garcia's first studio album, Garcia as a suggestion for the group to check: Deal, Loser, The Wheel and some other good stuff. Shake it Sugaree is a beauty - recently being covered by Phosphorescent and friends on the Dead cover project headed they guy from the National:

http://youtu.be/jhver8g_KZc

The Garcia album is not on Spotify, though, I don't think.
It is on spotify! https://open.spotify.com/album/6c0Q017eSEvyNhAo1HLGGy

Agreed, great record though I have to skip the weird instrumental stuff. The "songs" are all time classic though.
The contribution phase is coming to an end.

KnobTwister
Cleveland Steamer

Postby KnobTwister » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:42 pm

^ Nice! Not sure why I couldn't find it.

track11
Mansplain it, Bernie

Postby track11 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:53 am

KnobTwister wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 10:28 am
Nortwoods wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:53 pm
KnobTwister wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 12:04 pm
My wife got tickets to the thing the remaining members are doing with John Mayer, and I am refusing to go. Have fun girl!
OH man you should go there's gotta be worse ways to spend a summer night. If someone would have said 10 years ago that in 2017 John Mayer would be playing with the Dead and Donald Trump would be President and one be a Yuuuuuge success I'd never guess Mayer. But he's really good at playing those songs and I honestly don't think he cribs Jerry's playing style all that much.
An endorsement of this sort from a classic human poster may change my mind!
Go!

TANEYTOWN
Broke the Douchebagometer

Postby TANEYTOWN » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:17 pm

Never got into them. Should I?

Pickles
Still Peeling Butts

Postby Pickles » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:22 am

Taner,

Based on our fireside chats, I do not think you would like The Grateful Dead. But check them out for sure. They're not going anywhere.

I like the standards and all of that, and particularly like Terrapin Station for some reason for the story of all four books, but then again I like Shakedown Street. But then again I like Hall and Oates sometimes. You just can't beat some Sarah Smile.

No shit though if you like the Dead you can have my collection. I just don't care bout it anymore. I'm getting back into Prince and Hamms.

D&P,

-Jonny

bltkmt
Bernie Bro

Postby bltkmt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:54 am

As some abovers have mentioned, just about all GD stuff is on Spotify including the Dicks Picks series which are fantastic. The new Cornell 5/8/77 show is great. My favorite Dicks Picks is #10 recorded on my birthday in 1977 - it has a great version of Sugaree.
Tuxedo T-shirt wrote:I mean I don't even know how they let you post here if you haven't developed a gamma-radiation imaging system yet. This isn't Reddit.

RA's Editor

Postby 1973 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:46 am

I'm fond of the volume 35 Dick Pick. It's 8/7/71

flippedcanvas
Chestnut Mare
Location: South East of England(G.B.)1ce upon a time Rome in Italy not Rome in Texas,what r ye like buddies!?

Postby flippedcanvas » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:43 pm

ingerlou wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 11:05 am
I've always been a casual fan of the Dead, but that's about it. I have and like American Beauty and Workingman's Dead, but have never REALLY dug into the Dead's catalog. Obviously in the last few years they've enjoyed a resurgence, and they are without a doubt one of those bands that can bring people together from all over the music spectrum. I am often shocked at some of the people I meet that are hard-core Deadheads. Pitchfork recently reviewed a bootleg that was just released from a show at Cornell in '77. This show is considered by many to be their very best. I listened to it, and while I enjoyed it a little, I'm still missing something. Anyone else a little conflicted by this band? I want to love them, but I'm not sure I can. I keep giving them chances, but I'm not sure it's working.
That Workingman's Dead is a beauty of its own thanks to bring it on about!
Violin Sky wrote:More like a multidimensional portrait of the creative self from different angle of your primal emotional abilities. :D Or Flash Gordon..
http://www.myspace.com/flippedcanvas