Forum

Notifications
Clear all

The difficult task of promoting music....help?

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
El Santo
(@el-santo)
Topic starter

so I come seeking advice from you folks today....

I'm sort of in the process of finishing a project I was working on for a friend (to be released soon) and I'm beginning to work on my own again. I guess this time around, I'm going to try a little harder to promote a bit more. I guess I've sort of been out of the loop in terms of how to do that. I did the best and had the most fans back when Myspace was thriving. I think I need to move on to pursuing blog writers and things like that.
Are there any blogs that you folks read that are maybe small enough to feature content as underneath as mine?
Any other advice from you guys in terms of how to get out there? Where do you guys find your new music?

I also stumbled upon the site Patreon. It's kind of like a crowdfund thing, but it's not for a single project. People pay a small amount to receive regular, exclusive monthly content. I realize that it's sort of stupid for someone with basically no fans to attempt something like this, but what if I approached this from the other side? Like, instead of a popular artist giving exclusive content to big fans, maybe I could just post enough interesting content that I could possibly attract more fans? Let people choose what covers I do? Let people suggest alternate mixes of stuff and I can put it together and release it? I really don't know.

Any advice that y'alls could think of that could help me. I'm just sick of the feeling that I'm just shouting things out into the void with no one to hear it. I put a lot of effort into the album I did in 2010 and it was like, zero response. It didn't help that I had no idea what I was doing. I was sending the album to labels like I was in 1985.

Disclaimer: I get the unsaid part of this. I get that there is a distinct possibility that I am like a salesman shouting "Why won't anyone buy my DVD rewinders?? Or these shrimp paste eclairs?"
I get that I may be trying to sell a product that no one wants, and acting like the problem is something else other than the product. The elephant in this room is being acknowledged. I think if it continues on, I'll just fuck around when I feel like it but not officially release stuff anymore. I'll put away the whole Amber Dust thing and just release shit to friends on my own social media. I'm just giving it a shot.

"If anything, I don't think Trump is taking it far enough" - noodle

Posted : 21/03/2017 2:33 pm
Beldo
(@beldo)

I don't know much about anything but...Bandcamp?

I also would start getting into Twitter. Don't be obnoxious about marketing yourself, just tweet like a regular person and occasionally drop a song or something you did and tell people you're proud of it and wanted to share. You're a funny dude and I think people would follow you just for your humor and that would likely engender enough good will in people for them to check out a link you've posted. Follow people with similar music tastes or artists similar to you. Reply to them when appropriate but don't push your stuff on them. Etc., etc.

"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

Posted : 21/03/2017 3:05 pm
El Santo
(@el-santo)
Topic starter

I also would start getting into Twitter.

I just recently did some edits to my previous twitter account to make it more centered around the music project. I'm just not very good at twitter. How do I make my tweets more visible to people? Do I need to use relevant hashtags? Or is it more about tweeting at certain people that are relevant?

Posted : 21/03/2017 7:04 pm
nacho
(@nacho)

An album cover with powerlines and palm trees couldn't hurt.

Posted : 22/03/2017 12:38 am
Beldo
(@beldo)

I also would start getting into Twitter.

I just recently did some edits to my previous twitter account to make it more centered around the music project. I'm just not very good at twitter. How do I make my tweets more visible to people? Do I need to use relevant hashtags? Or is it more about tweeting at certain people that are relevant?

There's no real science to it, it's just something you kind of learn over time. It definitely takes time and effort. I don't think hashtags do much anymore on twitter, it's kind of considered hackneyed unless there's a big event going on--but they do work on Instagram. Tweeting at certain people can help. Tweeting at music critics who you think would like your sound can't hurt. Your profile can be as self-promoting as you want, but I would keep the self-promoting tweets to a minimum.

"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

Posted : 22/03/2017 9:38 am
Beldo
(@beldo)

Now that I think about it, instagram might work for you with the videos on there now being such a big thing. You could take video of you recording new songs, playing covers, etc. and hashtag the shit out of it. People actually use hashtags on there. #sadbastardmusic #acoustic #metalguitar #sunkilmoon #newradicals #newhampshire #studio #recording
Maybe you can talk nacho into giving you a repost to all his 1405 followers. I love putting people on the spot.

Posted : 22/03/2017 10:39 am
nacho
(@nacho)

Sure, I'm up for it. I'm working with a guy who used to be in a band right now on something. In fact one of their albums is a favorite of mine.

I've said too much already!!! Back to work.

Posted : 22/03/2017 2:59 pm
BirdBrain
(@birdbrain)

Its all about the hashtags on instagram ..have enough of them and your pic will be liked by about 3000 bots promoting their own wares that you'll eventually be a search result for one of the popular hashtags. Pretty soon, you'll be hawking protein shakes! Maybe you'll sell a few records out of it too... 😀

I dunno, I like to think I'm pretty resistant to being advertised at on social media. The "follower churn" bands have ruined it for me i.e. you tweet about music, a band you never heard of starts following you, you follow back and then they unfollow you a week later. Its a good way for a band to get 1000s of followers really quickly but it isn't half disingenuous. But please don't do that. Tweet good content and the followers should come to youuuuuuuu!

I work for a music college and while they do try to make sure the students are well engaged with social media I can't help thinking the old ways are still how it gets done ...networking is still huge ...getting to know as many people in the industry as possible will open doors. You might have to keep giving stuff away for free for a while. Occasionally we get film makers approach the college asking for students to submit music. Its a good "in" to the industry but of course invariably they want the music free or cheap as possible cos they're a struggling artist themselves

The Patreon thing looks cool. I'm seeing a few podcasts starting to do it. 5 euro a month for unlimited content. Its a great idea if you have enough followers that a proportion will take the plunge into paid content that you can break even

Posted : 23/03/2017 8:25 am
Blaze
(@blaze)

I honestly think you could rope in a lot of people with your covers.That cover you did of the Danzig song on YouTube got some traction. Explore some niche genres that have built in fanbases, find the songs you can tolerate and go all in with your covers. Or cover more popular songs if you can tolerate it and don't feel like a sellout. Then you could turn people onto your original stuff.

“What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?”

Posted : 31/03/2017 8:16 am
El Santo
(@el-santo)
Topic starter

I honestly think you could rope in a lot of people with your covers.That cover you did of the Danzig song on YouTube got some traction. Explore some niche genres that have built in fanbases, find the songs you can tolerate and go all in with your covers. Or cover more popular songs if you can tolerate it and don't feel like a sellout. Then you could turn people onto your original stuff.

I think I'll keep doing that to an extent. I guess the main thing is, I work pretty slow right now, so I think I need to do covers and originals at the same time. Otherwise it'll be like "Thanks for listening to my covers everybody! Just sit tight for like 3 or 4 years and hopefully I'll get an LP coming down the pipe"
Interest will be gone again at that point. I think I'll start doing some of the covers in a simpler fashion, too. As much as I'd like to do fully fleshed-out covers of everything, maybe a simpler one recorded so that it can be put out as a video on youtube might not be a bad idea.
I've got a couple covers I'm working on now, along with the originals. I'm working harder than I've worked in awhile, but it's still slow going...

Posted : 31/03/2017 3:59 pm
Beldo
(@beldo)

Yeah, no rush. Maybe stockpile a bunch of covers and originals and release them piecemeal. There was a cool thing where the guy from Buffalo Tom released a cover a week (I think) for a year. Not saying you should do that, maybe one a month though?

Posted : 31/03/2017 4:52 pm
Macho
(@macho)

In addition to Beldo's previous suggestion of video recording you playing, would you consider providing educational videos at all? I've been noticing a fair amount of YouTubers start out sharing musical, recording, songwriting, etc advice/lessons. Then they start promoting their own material, once they have a following of sorts. I've seen some do a complete switcheroo, where there's no longer educational videos and just their own music output. Takes time and a lot of effort, but it's a way.

"Come on me bros" -Blaze

Posted : 31/03/2017 8:07 pm
El Santo
(@el-santo)
Topic starter

In addition to Beldo's previous suggestion of video recording you playing, would you consider providing educational videos at all? I've been noticing a fair amount of YouTubers start out sharing musical, recording, songwriting, etc advice/lessons. Then they start promoting their own material, once they have a following of sorts. I've seen some do a complete switcheroo, where there's no longer educational videos and just their own music output. Takes time and a lot of effort, but it's a way.

I wish I had something else like that, that I could market or present to people. I just don't think I'm really in any position to give anyone advice on anything. I know next to nothing in terms of musical theory. The only thing I could really display in a video is maybe some sort of mixing trick to get a particular sound that I used in some case.

Posted : 01/04/2017 8:35 am
Pickles
(@pickles)

Sure, I'm up for it. I'm working with a guy who used to be in a band right now on something. In fact one of their albums is a favorite of mine.

I've said too much already!!! Back to work.

This man really likes a shot of his lounging salt and pepper locks and deep eyes against the staid backdrop of the train tracks. See, nobody knows where these train tracks lead. It's like the brick wall from the 90's. But this time, and oh man...it's just the one guy. It's just me. Lounging locks in B&W on Instagram sitting by the tracks seeing if I can smoosh a penny. I'm the Shanerunneroffer. Don't you forget it.

Posted : 30/05/2017 3:09 am
flippedcanvas
(@flippedcanvas)

💡 It's a hurting business Chuck Prophet would say!

More like a multidimensional portrait of the creative self from different angle of your primal emotional abilities. 😀 Or Flash Gordon..

http://www.myspace.com/flippedcanvas

Posted : 04/01/2018 6:36 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: