Clear all

Madchester

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Rowsdower
(@rowsdower)
Topic starter

Britpop thread got me thinking that Madchester is pretty much timeless to me while a lot of Britpop has not aged so well. Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets, Happy Mondays still get play with this human. I guess people may or may not put James in Madchester as Birdbrain said. And I really like James, but not as much as the previous three bands.

Anyone want to educate a Yank on other Madchester essentials?

Posted : 07/04/2017 10:51 am
nacho
(@nacho)

You're twisting my melon, man.

Posted : 08/04/2017 2:59 am
Loon Rider
(@loon-rider)

Christian, I think they're really the main acts. Some of the hangers on had their moments, such as Northside (Shall We Take A Trip); and the Mock Turtles (Can You Dig It). I'd probably add The Charlatans to the list, though they weren't actually from Manchester.

It had its heyday during the so-called second summer of love in 1987 and was very acid and dance influenced and revolved around the Hacienda club. 808 State were always associated with the scene, though they were more an electronic dance project. You should check out their Pacific State single if you don't know it. The Madchester scene morphed into what we called baggy pop and bands like The Farm in Liverpool hopped aboard (Groovy Train).

My best mate (who played guitar in our band years ago) was a session musician on The Happy Monday's first album and also worked with Suns of Arqa and produced some of Audioweb's early songs (in the days when they were known as The Sugar Merchants). I believe Audioweb are on the road again, supporting The Stone Roses!

We still play a lot of Stone Roses in this house. My daughter loves it and she wasn't born until 10 years after it happened. My soft spot was always for Inspiral Carpets.

Greatest Madchester tune you'll never hear is Magic Moped to Morocco by The SubDavidz! 😉

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”

- Charles Bukowski

Posted : 14/04/2017 3:55 pm
Rowsdower
(@rowsdower)
Topic starter

I lived the Hacienda Club through 24 Hour Party People! I think Mark E. Smith had his acting debut in that. Thanks for the tips I'll check those out!

Posted : 21/04/2017 10:11 am
Share: