Songs your children like that make you proud

25 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
monkeyboy
(@monkeyboy)
Topic starter

My kids are 8 & 5.

Recently they were really excited and into the live version (from ACL) of the Mats', "Take Me Down to the Hospital." We'd all jump around and dance.

Today in the car, the 8-year-old told me how much she liked the Springsteen song, "The Fever" from Tracks. I think she likes the Clarence singing parts.

Don't get me wrong, they like a lot of crap too (thanks mrs. monkeyboy), but the above make me very happy and proud!

Posted : 09/11/2014 8:19 pm
Charks
(@charks)

Both Eli (10) and Lucy (11) go absolutely bonkers over "Blitzkrieg Bop" and New Order's "Love Vigilantes".

At this age they're getting a lot of exposure to current pop (Taylor Swift...Imagine Dragons...Maroon 5...etc.) and they dig it. I just love that music is part of their life. And then I blast some Death From Above 1979 or Husker Du in the car to beat them down.

Posted : 09/11/2014 8:57 pm
Ranchhand
(@ranchhand)

My younger son has taken a liking to "The Troubles" by U2-which is being used as a theme song for Season 5 of The Walking Dead. While U2 was a fav when I was in high school and college, can't say that I listen to 'em anymore. But "The Troubles" is a pretty cool tune (and it fits the show entirely). Definitely makes me proud...

My older son likes Bob Marley.

Posted : 10/11/2014 1:09 pm
HighPlainsDrifter
(@highplainsdrifter)

My nephew liked the Tom T. Hall kids songs cd I gave him for Christmas a couple years ago - he'll be four in just over a week. My sister-in-law said he would bop along to it in the car or whatever. Will have to wait a little while yet for a report on the They Might Be Giants 123s and ABCs cds. Gave them to him I think the following year knowing they'd be something to grow into. 🙂

-Sam

Posted : 10/11/2014 7:53 pm
Charks
(@charks)

My nephew liked the Tom T. Hall kids songs cd I gave him for Christmas a couple years ago - he'll be four in just over a week. My sister-in-law said he would bop along to it in the car or whatever. Will have to wait a little while yet for a report on the They Might Be Giants 123s and ABCs cds. Gave them to him I think the following year knowing they'd be something to grow into. 🙂

Yeah...those TMBG records are great. My kids still listen to them.

Posted : 10/11/2014 9:26 pm
Kizmiaz
(@kizmiaz)

My five year old loves The Mercy Seat, Ziggy Stardust (really any glam era Bowie), There Is a Light That Never Goes Out, Hellhole Ratrace, and the list goes on and on. He hasn´t really had that much exposure to bad music and Let It Go is probably the only cringeworthy song he´s been into so far (btw, has anyone else noticed that that song is put together from two Smashing Pumkin songs?).

Damn foreigners

Posted : 11/11/2014 6:50 am
Tuxedo T-shirt
(@tuxedo-t-shirt)

My son likes Row Row Row Your Boat, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, the ABC song (not the Jackson 5 one) and Its Bitsy Spider. Can't argue with the classics, fellas.

this should be your signature line.

Posted : 11/11/2014 8:10 am
Rick V
(@rick-v)

My five year old loves The Mercy Seat, Ziggy Stardust (really any glam era Bowie), There Is a Light That Never Goes Out, Hellhole Ratrace, and the list goes on and on. He hasn´t really had that much exposure to bad music and Let It Go is probably the only cringeworthy song he´s been into so far (btw, has anyone else noticed that that song is put together from two Smashing Pumkin songs?).

It's gotta be pretty cool to say "My five year old? He loves Bowie - glam-era Bowie."

the music knows

Children by the millions sing for Alex Chilton when he come round
They sing Im in love Whats that song Im in love with that song

That which forces the breath into your lungs when all is lost and your path is dark is your glimmer of hope

Posted : 11/11/2014 1:30 pm
Macho
(@macho)

My three year old likes Sturgill Simpson. She actively instructs me to put on "Turtles," but she likes all the songs once they're playing. It's something special, because she shoots down 99% of the rest of the music I put on. "No, Daddy, I don't like this" she'll say very sternly to just about anything else that isn't Sturgill or from Frozen, The Little Mermaid, etc. Come to think of it-- she has responded well to Miles Davis' 'Kind of Blue' too the few times I've put it on. So there's that--which is good.

"Come on me bros" -Blaze

Posted : 11/11/2014 1:37 pm
3legcat
(@3legcat)

i have gone to several concerts with my daughters (now 29 and 25) but my oldest daughter is a big fan of IDA and when she was a freshman in high school, she and i went to go see them play with Low. she was starstruck to see Elizabeth Mitchell at the same coffee shop we went to before the show. now she plays Elizabeth Mitchell's kid cds for her daughter. when my youngest went to college she copied all of my ripped music to her laptop which was very popular on a campus file sharing thing. she told me she got instant cred.

but they still hate buckner, dang

I want out of this thread. - Jesse

Posted : 11/11/2014 3:00 pm
howard
(@howard)

My daughter (who is now 29) and I love listening to this together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGkseGFQLh4

Posted : 13/11/2014 6:57 am
Blaze
(@blaze)

Reminds me of this:

Cool Dad Raising Daughter On Media That Will Put Her Entirely Out Of Touch With Her Generation

RENTON, WA—Local man Paul Campbell confirmed Saturday he was raising his daughter Emma on a variety of media carefully selected to help her cultivate an appreciation for artistic quality, a move that will reportedly put the 12-year-old girl hopelessly out of touch with her generation.

Perusing his music and film collections and showing reporters distinctive, well-regarded works that will thoroughly alienate Emma from her sixth-grade classmates, Campbell said he wanted to make sure his daughter enjoyed the benefits of a cultural education he never received at her age.

"Back then, I listened to junk like Journey and watched crappy movies like Iron Eagle," the 41-year-old said in reference to popular music and films of the 1980s that allowed him to have something to talk about with friends. "I wish my own dad had turned me on to the good stuff, so I wouldn't have had to wait until I was in my 20s before I started digging anything halfway decent."

"Well, I'm not making the same mistake he did," Campbell continued as he pulled out vinyl copies of Television's Marquee Moon, Miles Davis' Sketches Of Spain, and Big Star's #1 Record, highly influential albums that will in no way help his daughter interact with her peers at a particularly delicate time in her social development. "There's a lot of cool stuff out there, and it's never too early to start learning what's worth your time. I'm just glad I have the know-how to guide her."

Campbell said he has also been vigilant in ensuring Emma develops an increased familiarity with timeless classic films, a parenting strategy that will inevitably hobble her as she attempts to achieve individuation while negotiating an adolescence heavily influenced by the very latest pop culture.

Since her early childhood, a period sources said featured a Danger Mouse–themed birthday party that utterly baffled the assembled 6-year-old guests, Campbell's daughter has been fed a steady diet of marginalizing cinematic masterpieces from the world's very best filmmakers.

"Jean-Luc Godard, Stanley Kubrick, Billy Wilder—you simply need to know who these men are if you want to call yourself culturally literate," Campbell said of the three iconic directors whose creations could not have less utility to his daughter as she searches for a way to achieve a sense of belonging among her fellow middle-schoolers. "Sure, she makes a face when I don't let her see some ridiculous movie with CGI robots because it's John Sayles Night and we're watching The Secret Of Roan Inish instead. But I'm giving her a leg up, even if she doesn't know it."

"I'm not unreasonable about this," Campbell added. "If she doesn't want to watch Harold Lloyd shorts tonight, that's no problem. We still have another five or six Prisoner episodes to get through."

Insisting he understood the important role entertainment media plays in the life of a sixth-grader, Campbell reportedly bought his daughter the Alice Cooper album Billion Dollar Babies on the grounds that the Adam Lambert CD she had begged for—and that all the girls at school had received—was not even a fraction as good as the 1973 masterpiece.

"I absolutely realize where she's at in life," Campbell said regarding the 12-year-old girl who has seen The Wild Bunch. "I don't care if she likes boy bands, but there are plenty out there that have some artistic merit: the Monkees, the Beach Boys, the Jackson 5. Come on, each of those guys is cuter than the next, and they're slightly talented, at least. I'd even be okay with Peter Frampton if she were really adamant about it, especially his early stuff with Humble Pie."

Reached for comment, Emma Campbell said that while she appreciated her father's dedication, she often had difficulty fitting in with her peers.

"I definitely feel out of place sometimes," said Emma, who told reporters she will never forget the blank stares she once received upon mentioning Petula Clark. "It'd be nice to know what everyone's talking about for a change."

“What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?”

Posted : 13/11/2014 10:01 am
Beldo
(@beldo)

^That's a classic. A guy I follow on Twitter is 100% this guy and totally un-self-aware about it.

"I thought, ‘That looks like a nice tree, I’m going to climb that f*cking tree.’ Climbed it and sat there with my hood up for about 10 minutes." - Liam Gallagher

Posted : 13/11/2014 10:26 am
3legcat
(@3legcat)

Reminds me of this"

yah that is about right, on my youngest's 16th birthday i bought her 16 dvd's bicycle thief, dr stranglove, and so forth.

I want out of this thread. - Jesse

Posted : 13/11/2014 11:56 am
Blaze
(@blaze)

^That's a classic. A guy I follow on Twitter is 100% this guy and totally un-self-aware about it.

Post a link to it. I'm curious.

For my daughter, my weird taste is there and available. I try not to impose it on her too much. She'll come around to it if she wants to, just like I did my dad's Springsteen and Neil Young albums. I would never have forgiven him if he imposed his Carole King/James Taylor fandom on me though.

“What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?”

Posted : 13/11/2014 5:06 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: